LINDENHURST, N.Y. (CBSNewYork) — A Long Island man claims he cannot work after he suffered burns from his iPhone when it burst into flames.

As WCBS 880’s Sophia Hall reported, 29-year-old Erik Johnson was still in pain as he sat in his Lindenhurst home.

READ MORE: California Drought: Healdsburg Bans Sprinklers; Sets Personal Water Use To 74 Gallons A Day

Johnson said he was in New Jersey for his cousin’s wake when all of a sudden, he felt a severe burning on his leg — his iPhone 5C had exploded in his front pocket.

READ MORE: Update: One Killed, Two Injured When Truck Crashes Into Diners at San Jose Sports Bar

“All I heard was a pop, and it started fizzling, and it just started to burn my leg,” he told Hall. “It went to a pretty much instant burn, it didn’t even warm up; it just went to burn. And the only way I could get the phone away from me was to rip off my pants to get the phone out.”

MORE NEWS: San Francisco Police Arrest Serial Burglary Suspect

For the full story, read more here.