RICHMOND (CBS SF) — Richmond is getting flooded with calls from all over the world from people worried about invisible attacks from outer space, and government mind control.
Authorities are overwhelmed, but patient because the city really is a safe zone for victims of space-based human rights abuses.READ MORE: Container Ship That Caught Fire Off Monterey Coast Being Towed to Bay Area
It all began on May 19, when the City Council members voted 5-to-2 in favor of a resolution to make the Richmond a “safe zone” for residents who feel they are under attack from space-based weapons. The resolution was based on the Space Preservation Act proposed by former Congressman Dennis Kucinich a decade ago.
Jessie Beltrand, president of the International Center Against the Abuse of Covert Technologies had spoken at the meeting. He told the council about his organization’s work to stop the use of remote influencing technologies. The Sacramento-based group was formed to raise awareness about human rights abuses
He said he “currently has 23,000 pieces of correspondence from victims in the United States and around the world.” He said there are “hot pockets” where more victims are targeted. New York, Florida, Illinois, Texas and California. He said the East Bay has the highest amounts of victims in the organizations database.
One such victim told Council members when she goes to sleep, “I feel like I’m being lit up like a Christmas tree.” She said she gets electric shocks, has awakened with burns on palms and the end of her tongue. She said the source are these “exotic weapons.”
“This is torture and enslavement” we have “suffered desperately,” she said.
“If you won’t save us, save yourselves … do something now while you still can.”
Councilmember Jovanka Beckles authored the resolution.
“It’s imperative that Richmond adopt this resolution, in an effort to stand in solidarity with residents who claim to be under assault from space-based weapons,” said Beckles.
She said she spoke with Captain Gagin to see how law enforcement could help that police would be open to “listening, and not assuming, and actually taking reports of incidences.”READ MORE: Second Straight Burning Man Cancellation Divides Locals, Health Officials
Since that conversation, police have gotten more than 100 calls from people like the woman at the meeting, worried the government is stalking them using electronic surveillance and secret military technology. Some believe the government is controlling their minds. Others worry about insidious nanotechnology, bugs, and implants. The calls come from as far away as Ireland.
It’s been overwhelming.
In a statement, Police Chief Chris Magnus wrote:
“We just don’t have the resources, including staff, to respond to all these people who are now contacting us because they believe they have been targeted.”
“We are getting numerous inquiries and requests from individuals all over the country — even some from other countries.”
Vice-Mayor Jail Myrick who also supported the resolution agrees.
“It has become clear in the past two weeks that this resolution is being used to validate some very dangerous conspiracy theories,” said Myrick.
Still, the victims feel they have found an ally in Captain Gagen, a 20-year veteran with the department.
According to the Contra Costa Times, Gagan has even been invited to speak at conferences organized by the victims. One organization gave him a humanitarian award for his work on the issue.
“People were thrilled that someone was finally listening to them,” Gagan said. He listens to the callers, but so far, hasn’t heard anything to convince him the claims are true.MORE NEWS: Golden Gate Bridge's Wind-Whipped Annoying Hum Echoes Through Neighborhoods
He said he tries to “refocus the conversation, and if they are local, get them into a managed program of medication and supervision.”