SAN FRANCISCO (CBS SF) — Donald Trump reignited the call to secure U.S. borders just hours after federal officials said the man arrested in the shooting death of a San Francisco woman was an undocumented immigrant who had previously been deported five times.
CBS San Francisco reached out the Donald Trump presidential campaign who then released this written statement:
“This senseless and totally preventable act of violence committed by an illegal immigrant is yet another example of why we must secure our border immediately. This is an absolutely disgraceful situation and I am the only one that can fix it. Nobody else has the guts to even talk about it. That won’t happen if I become President. The American people deserve a wall to protect our jobs, economy and our safety. I am the only candidate who would build it. I will Make America Great Again!”
Texas resident Francisco Sanchez had been detained as a person of interest south along the Embarcadero shortly after allegedly shooting 32-year-old Kathryn Steinle at Pier 14 on Wednesday. Witnesses on the pier snapped his photo, which was quickly forwarded to officers investigating the killing.
Department of Homeland Security (DHS) records indicate Sanchez had been previously deported five times, most recently in 2009, according to ICE spokesperson Virgina Kice. His criminal history includes seven prior felony convictions, four involving narcotics charges.
According to DHS databases, ICE turned Sanchez over to the San Francisco Police Department March 26 on an outstanding drug warrant. At that time, ICE lodged an immigration detainer, requesting notification prior to his release “so ICE officers could make arrangements to take custody,” Rice said. But the detainer was not honored.
San Francisco is one of many “sanctuary cities,” which prohibits city employees from helping ICE with immigration investigations or arrests unless its required by law or a warrant.