BRENTWOOD (CBS SF) – After reports of several fires involving hoverboards, including at least one in the Bay Area, the Consumer Product Safety Commission said they are looking into the safety of the popular holiday toys.

In a statement released Wednesday, the commission said they are searching for the root cause of the fire hazard. CPSC officials said they have taken possession of hoverboards that caught fire and bought boards from retailers as part of their investigation.

READ MORE: Flash Flood Watches Issued As Storm Aims at Fire-Scarred Northern California

“Every consumer who is riding a hoverboard, who purchased one to give as a gift during the holidays, or who is thinking about buying one deserves to know if there is a safety defect,” CPSC chairman Elliot Kaye said.

The commission urges consumers to not charge the boards overnight and to wear safety gear for protection from falls.

One of the toys caught fire inside the Denny family home in Brentwood on Monday night. According to family members, the hoverboard burst into flames when a 15-year-old girl stepped onto the board while it was charging. No injuries were reported.

READ MORE: Amid the Capitol Riot, Facebook Faced Its Own Insurrection

There have been at least 11 other reports of hoverboards catching fire in 10 states.

As officials investigate, the United States Postal Service announced hoverboards that contain lithium batteries will no longer be shipped by air. Hoverboards will only be shipped via ground transportation, because of potential safety hazards involving the batteries.

Postal officials also said they will not ship hoverboards internationally or to military addresses.

MORE NEWS: US Rowing Accepts Resignation of Longtime Men's Coach Mike Teti

Tim Fang is a digital producer for CBS San Francisco. A native of the Bay Area, follow him on Twitter @fangtj.