SAN FRANCISCO (CBS SF) — Planning a big tailgate to watch the San Francisco 49ers in Super Bowl Super Bowl LIV?
Here’s one of out favorites from the KPIX 5 archive. Betty Yu’s Hail Mary Crab Cake Sandwich
Maryland Crab Cakes (recipe courtesy RN74)
Ingredients (Serves 8)
- 1 lb. Lump and Jumbo Lump Crab Meat (preferably fresh, but you can use frozen or canned; or substitute shrimp)
- 2 oz. Saltines, finely crushed
- 1 Egg
- ½ cup Mayonnaise
- 2 ½ tsp. Dijon Mustard
- 1 ¼ tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 ¼ tsp Hot Sauce
- 1/2 Lemon, Juice & Zest
- 1 1/2 tsp Old Bay
- 2 tsp Parsley, Chopped
- 2 tsp Tarragon, Chopped
- 2 tsp Chives, Minced
- 1/2 Cups Mayonnaise
- 2 tsp Finely Chopped Dill
- 1 tsp Finely Chopped Capers
- 2 tsp Finely Chopped Cornichons
- 1 heaping tbsp Cup Finely Minced Red Onion
- 1 tsp Finely Chopped Tarragon
- 2 tsp Finely Chopped Parsley
- 2 tsp Finely Minced Chives
- 1 tsp Lemon juice
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Pick through crabmeat to ensure there are no shells.
- Mix together all ingredients for crab cake except crabmeat and saltines until base mix comes together.
- Using a rubber spatula, gently fold in crabmeat trying not to break up the lumps.
- Once crabmeat is mixed with the mayonnaise base, sprinkle in saltines and fold together.
- Allow mixture to rest in a refrigerator for about an hour until cold
- Using a 2-ounce ice cream scoop, scoop out crab cakes on to a parchment lined sheet tray.
- Place crab cakes in the oven and cook until golden brown on the outside but just warmed in the middle, about 10 minutes
- Meanwhile make tartar sauce. Using a mixing bowl and rubber spatula, mix all tartar sauce ingredients together and set aside. Can be made a day ahead of time
- Prepare a breading station by placing all-purpose flour in one bowl, whisked whole eggs in the second bowl and panko breadcrumbs in the third bowl
- Roll 2 ounce crab cakes into balls, bread each cake by first dredging in the flour, followed by the egg wash and finally by the panko bread crumb
- Fry the crab cakes at 350 degrees until golden brown but just warmed in the middle, about 3 minutes.
On a sandwich roll , cut in half — place crabcake, tartar sauce, fresh greens and sliced radish, onion, and pork rinds and serve