SAN RAFAEL (CBS SF) – One of the three drifters charged in a Bay Area murder spree broke down in tears Monday as the widow of one the trio’s alleged victims testified at their preliminary hearing in a Marin County courtroom.

Lokita Carter took the stand and told the court about the last time she saw her husband, 67-year-old Steve Carter, on the afternoon he was killed and the family dog was shot on a trail in the Loma Alta Open Space Preserve near Fairfax on Oct. 5.

READ MORE: Fremont Police Release Body Cam Footage In Fatal Shooting Of Suspect On Highway 84

The yoga instructor was walking the dog when he was fatally shot allegedly by 23-year-old Morrison Haze Lampley. Sean Michael Angold, 24, and 18-year-old Lila Scott Alligood are also charged in the crime.

In a deal with prosecutors last week, Angold agreed to plead guilty to one count of second-degree murder and to also testify against Lampley and Alligood.

In light of Angold’s plea, the preliminary hearing was set to be delayed, but Carter was called to the stand Monday to accommodate her travel schedule.

READ MORE: 'The Sky's The Limit For The U.S. Economy,' Says Economic Analyst

The trio was also charged with the murder of Audrey Carey, who was visiting the Bay Area from Quebec, and was found fatally shot in Golden Gate Park on Oct. 3rd. near where the Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival was being held.

The trio was arrested in Portland outside of a soup kitchen on Oct. 7 and had Carter’s stolen car with them. They also had stolen property including Carey’s passport and the stolen gun allegedly used in the slayings.

During her brief testimony Carter glazed at both Lampley and Alligood. While Alligood shed tears, Lampley sat stoically showing no emotions.
After Carter’s testimony the preliminary hearing was recessed until Sept. 19th.

Lampley and Alligood are charged with two counts of murder, robbery, vehicle theft and other counts including special circumstances.

MORE NEWS: COVID Job Market: Signs Of Recovery As California Adds Jobs For 2nd Month

If found guilty, the pair could be sentenced to life in prison without parole. The Marin County District Attorney’s Office decided against seeking the death penalty.