VALLEJO (KPIX 5) — A brutal takedown by Vallejo police was caught on cellphone video. Witnesses said the force the officer used on the suspect was too much.

It happened Friday afternoon according to authorities after someone called 911 to report a man acting “crazy” at a Valero gas station.

Witnesses said the first arriving officer chased the suspect for several minutes until the suspect finally gave up and sat down in the middle of the street.

Then, the officer pushed the man onto the ground to try to cuff him, but the suspect appeared to struggle.

“The kid surrendered,” said one witness who didn’t want to give his name. “The cop, on the other hand, came up right behind him and he was tired too. But he immediately dove on the kid and started wailing on him.”

In the video, the officer beats the suspect with his fists and his flashlight, as the suspect repeats, “I am God, I am God.” Off-camera, someone in the crowd is yelling “police brutality.”

Even though the video is hard to watch, police trainer Don Cameron said the officer used appropriate force to restrain the man.

“Basically that’s what they’re trained to do. When we’re down on the ground, we want to get the person in custody as quickly as we can and we use personal weapons.”

Former Oakland Police Chief Howard Jordan agrees the initial contact was fine, but said he’s troubled by the continuous use of force after a backup officer arrived, especially when the officer pulled his gun on the crowd.

“I understand the officer needed to try to keep the people from getting close to him,” said Jordan.”I don’t necessarily agree that’s the best use of force. I does look bad. It does appear inappropriate.”

Vallejo police said Internal Affairs is reviewing the video to investigate all aspects of the arrest including the officer’s use of profanity. He dropped the f-bomb at least twice in the video.

One officer was injured in the confrontation.

The suspect is in jail facing charges of being “under the influence” and “resisting arrest.”

The video got about a million views in its first 2 hours it was posted online.

Comments (32)
  1. Why is it that when something of this magnitude occurs I see & hear many voices but it’s not until an injustice event happens. Where are those voices before these crimes happen? I don’t see people using social media expressing their thoughts or feelings when it comes to matters such as this. Folks will rarely touch on matters unless its seem for their own personal gains. This behavior we must understand that police see this & as well is many other institutions that gain from having corruption as their way of operating. It all plays a part in the moving of the people or mass incarceration. This was wrong, there was no evidence in this video that shows there was any reason for this cop to attack & assault this man as he did. We the people already know of this officer’s track record as well is the corruption in the Vallejo, CA PD. But if the people of the community don’t speak up nothing will change.

    1. the problem is that the people who are the loudest supporters of cops are the, families, friends, acquaintances, those who live under rocks or those who are as corrupt as the cops they are supporting…there are “ZERO” good cops because of the code of silence, the thin blue line and the corrupt cop culture they work within…should any cop decide to cross the thin blue line and void his code of silence pledge, that cop will not be a cop for much longer…that cop will either be fired or will resign because they no longer fit into the corrupt culture…that’s why 99% of all cops are corrupt and the other 1% is waiting to be fired or resign

  2. Ken Klanseck says:

    I would have to agree, the cop was out of control, and the news reporter is full of it for saying it appeared that the guy was resisting….He never resister, he was protecting his head from the blows. and he sat down, there wasn’t even a need to rush for the cuffs

  3. Do Sumtheng says:

    In law enforcement this is two types of resisting arrest, active and passive. Passive is when a person is just laying on the ground or standing in place and not responding. An example would be the UC Davis sit-ins when the students sat on the ground, refused to move under the threat of forceful response and then were pepper sprayed. That’s what is happening in this video. The man was sitting on the ground, one officer had control of his right hand while the initial officer continued to beat the man with flashlight. The man on the ground never ran, he never swung, kicked or spat at the officers…that is passively resisting arrest. The cops are in the wrong here.