ANTIOCH (CBS SF) — 49 patients were evacuated from an Antioch assisted living center Tuesday afternoon after a dryer inside the center caught fire, officials with the Contra Costa County Fire Protection District said.
The fire was reported at 1:14 p.m. at Country Place Assisted Living at 1715 Olive Lane.READ MORE: Oakland Police Plan Crackdown On Sideshow Activity This Weekend
A dryer caught fire in the commercial laundry area of the center. A sprinkler system turned on, however, and kept the fire from spreading, fire Capt. George Laing said.READ MORE: COVID: Santa Clara County Relaxes Outdoor Gathering Rules, Says Red Tier Move May Happen Next Week
The center sustained smoke and water damage and the residents were taken to another facility in Antioch, according to Laing.MORE NEWS: VIDEO: Woman Dragged By Car In Oakland Chinatown After Having Purse Snatched
© Copyright 2018 CBS Broadcasting Inc. and Bay City News Service. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.