VALLEJO (CBS SF) — A Vallejo police officer fatally shot a suspect during a foot chase and violent struggle Tuesday night.

According to police, the incident took place around 7:30 p.m. in the area of Marin at Florida Street. An officer attempted to stop the man riding a bike during a domestic violence call investigation. But instead of yielding to the officer’s commands, the man fled on foot.

READ MORE: Petaluma CVS Pharmacy Robbed Of Cash, Medications; Suspect Captured On Camera

The officer caught up with the suspect and a violent physical struggle took place.

Investigators said that during the violent physical confrontation, the officer deployed his Taser on the suspect but it was ineffective. The suspect managed to forcibly take away a metal flashlight from the officer and armed himself with it, presenting it in a threatening manner

The officer, fearing imminent and serious physical harm, discharged his duty firearm, striking the suspect.

Medical aid was given to the 33-year-old Vallejo man — identified as Ronnell Foster — but he was declared dead at the scene.

READ MORE: Armed Suspect Carjacks Man Near San Francisco’s Buena Vista Park

The officer has been placed on administrative leave.

Angela Giles, the dead man’s aunt, said the incident began with a dispute between the suspect and his girlfriend.

“He supposedly jump on his girlfriend — his daughter’s mother,” she said. “She called the police. They (the police) went looking for him. Some kind of pursuit – he’s lying there death. We know it’s him. They (the police) know it’s him. We just want his body off the street.”

Giles said her nephew was unarmed.

“The police shot him,” she said. “He’s never carried a gun. He was on a bike. We were told he jumped off his bike and ran.”

MORE NEWS: Woman Escapes Captors After Being Kidnapped, Trafficked; 2 Arrested in South San Francisco

The shooting was being investigated jointly by the Solano County District Attorney’s Office and the Vallejo Police Department. As part of standard procedure, the involved officer has been placed on administrative leave pending further investigation.