OAKLAND, Calif. (CBS SF/AP) — The Diocese of Oakland had previously pledged to release the names of priests credibly accused of sex abuse, but now it says it needs more time.

The Diocese of Oakland announced in early October that it would publish names within 45 days, but now says publication won’t be until after Jan. 1, 2019 for two reasons.

READ MORE: UPDATE: Alameda County Supes Debate Proposed Oakland A's Stadium Financing

The diocese says it has decided to contact survivors in advance of a public announcement and that it needs more time to verify information on priests from other orders and dioceses who served in Oakland.

READ MORE: East Palo Alto Residents on Edge Over Possible Placement of Convicted Sex Predator

RELATED:

A law firm suing California bishops has compiled a report of clergy in the San Francisco Bay Area it says are accused of misconduct. Attorney Jeff Anderson says the report lists nearly 100 accused in the Diocese of Oakland.

MORE NEWS: Theranos Trial: New Testimony Alleges Holmes Lied To Lure Billionaire Devos Family To Invest $50 Million

© Copyright 2018 CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved. The Associated Press contributed to this report.