CASTRO VALLEY (CBS SF) — A fire that burned a Castro Valley home Saturday morning was sparked by a space heater, fire officials said.

The blaze broke out shortly before 6 a.m., when the heater caught fire in the living room on the first floor of the two-story house, Alameda County Fire Department spokeswoman Aisha Knowles said.

READ MORE: Jimmy Garoppolo Named Starter For 49ers Vs. Colts, Trent Williams Could Be Out

Two dogs perished in the one-alarm fire and a man who lives there suffered second-degree burns while trying to extinguish flames with a garden hose, Knowles said.

READ MORE: Tree Topples Onto Pickup Truck In Santa Cruz County, Killing Driver

The man was treated and released from a hospital.

Two others at the home, a woman and an infant, safely escaped before fire crews arrived. Working smoke alarms alerted the residents to the blaze, Knowles said.

MORE NEWS: COVID: Santa Clara County Begins Offering Booster Shots For All 3 Vaccines

© Copyright 2018 CBS Broadcasting Inc. and Bay City News. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed