MARTINEZ (CBS SF) — Nine people were displaced by a house fire in Martinez early Sunday morning which was ignited by hot ashes that were placed in a plastic garbage container, according to the Contra Costa County Fire Protection District.

Five engines and two trucks responded at 4:22 a.m. to the fire in the 2300 block of Banbury Loop, fire Capt. Tracie Dutter said.

The displaced residents consisted of two permanent residents and seven family members, Dutter said. They declined assistance from the Red Cross.

The fire occurred when residents placed hot ashes into a plastic container near a gas meter, resulting in a high-pressure gas leak when the ashes melted through the container and meter.

The fire district reminds residents that hot ashes should only be placed in metal containers.

© Copyright 2018 CBS Broadcasting Inc. and Bay City News. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed

Comments
  1. Given how stupid people who live in Martinez are this story does not surprise us.

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s