SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) — A Northern California newspaper has released a list of more than 40 Sacramento-area priests accused of sexual abuse.

The Sacramento Bee published the list Tuesday containing the names of 44 priests and two permanent deacons in the Catholic Diocese of Sacramento.

They were credibly accused of sexually abusing about 130 victims in the past 70 years.

The newspaper says it obtained the records gathered by the church after Bishop Jaime Soto last year ordered staff members to go through personnel files and compile the list.

The Sacramento diocese stretches from Vallejo in the San Francisco Bay Area to the Oregon border.

Diocesan spokesman Kevin Eckery says the records of the men who have served in the diocese were examined by church officials and former FBI agent Kathleen McChesney.

 

Comments
  1. Judy Block-Jones says:

    The list of ALL credibly accused priests should have been released a long time ago with their assignment records and their abuse histories. Exposing their names helps victims to know that they are not alone, plus it protects kids today.
    Also, there needs to be a grand jury investigation with subpoena power in every state.like was done in Pennsylvania. This is the one true way to get the full truth of sex crimes and cover ups within these dioceses. Church officials can not be trusted to expose all the names of credibly accused priests.

    Judy Jones, SNAP Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests, snapjudy@gmail.com, 636-433-2511