FAIRFIELD (CBS SF) – A garage fire that emitted hazardous fumes and injured three firefighters and a police officer in Fairfield Saturday started when the homeowner put too many lithium-ion batteries on chargers, a deputy fire chief said Monday.

The fire around 5 p.m. destroyed a garage at 1732 Ashtree Court in Cordelia. Police said there were approximately 200 pounds of lithium-ion batteries in the garage.

READ MORE: Rain Showers Trigger Power Outages Across The Bay Area

The batteries were emitting fluoride gas before firefighters arrived, Fairfield Deputy Fire Chief Matt Luckenbach said.

The homeowner was operating an electrical bicycle charging and repair business in the garage, Luckenbach said.

READ MORE: Dozens of Dogs, Cats Removed From Danville Home

“The charging system couldn’t handle what was plugged into it,” he said.

A fourth firefighter also suffered a back injury while fighting the blaze.

Residents nearby were ordered to shelter in place until 11 p.m.  because of the fumes.

MORE NEWS: Oakland Church Group Hosts Party to Preach Anti-Violence by Practicing Community

© Copyright 2019 CBS Broadcasting Inc. and Bay City News Service. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.