OAKLAND (CBS SF) — All lanes of westbound I-580 near the interchange with eastbound Highway 24 in Oakland have reopened Tuesday afternoon after being shut down for hours due to an investigation into a CHP pursuit.

At 10:58 a.m., CHP confirmed that there was a severe traffic alert due to police activity on westbound I-580 at Highway 24 E near the West Street/San Pablo Avenue exit. All lanes are blocked.

READ MORE: Napa Valley Looks to Restaurant Week to Help Jump-Start Economic Comeback

I-580 police activity and investigation in Oakland (CBS)

The closure of the two left westbound lanes on Highway 580 was initially reported shortly before 10:30 a.m. About a half-hour later, CHP said all westbound lanes were closed.

Traffic is being diverted off to westbound 980 and eastbound Highway 24.

There are reports that the activity is related to a police pursuit that ended in a crash, but police and CHP initially did not confirm what led to the incident.

Authorities later issued a press release, stating that the CHP Dublin station received a report from CHP in Stockton about a silver Chevrolet Impala that was driving recklessly.

READ MORE: Wind-Whipped Wildfire in Big Sur Shuts Hwy 1, Forces Evacuations

A Dublin CHP officer observed a silver Chevrolet Impala matching the description of the reckless vehicle driving erratically on westbound I-580. The officer attempted to stop the suspect vehicle, but the driver attempted to evade the officer and a pursuit ensued into the CHP – Castro Valley Area’s jurisdiction.

A two-officer CHP unit from Castro Valley joined the pursuit, which ended in the crash on westbound I-580 just west of Highway 24 in Oakland. The suspect vehicle attempted to pass a paratransit bus, causing the suspect vehicle to become stuck between the bus and a concrete wall.

The CHP unit from Castro Valley attempted to block the suspect vehicle and the driver of the suspect vehicle began ramming the occupied patrol vehicle and the occupied paratransit bus in an apparent effort to evade authorities.

One of the CHP – Castro Valley officers discharged a firearm, but did not strike the suspect. The officers were then able to affect an arrest despite the suspect’s continued physical resistance. Neither the the suspect nor any officers were injured in this incident. The suspect appeared to be under the influence of a controlled substance as he was taken into custody.

Motorists were advised to expect delays and to use alternate routes to avoid the area. Authorities estimated at around 1:15 p.m. that they would be able to reopen the freeway at approximately 3 p.m.

A half an hour later, the CHP Oakland office updated the estimate to closer to 3:45 p.m., but in the end authorities reopened all lanes shortly before 3 p.m.

The duration of the incident was four hours and 21 minutes.

MORE NEWS: Curry Hits Winning Jumper, Warriors Beat Rockets 105-103