SAN JOSE (CBS SF) — A large fire burned in an industrial area of just south of downtown San Jose, sending huge plumes of black smoke over a portion of the city Tuesday afternoon.

The fire started on the 1700 block of S. 10th St. near CEFCU (formerly Spartan) Stadium at an auto repair business in an industrial part of the city with several auto salvage and auto repair shops.

READ MORE: PG&E Equipment May Be Involved In Start Of Small Wildfire That Merged With Dixie Fire

It was first reported at about 2:34 p.m., according to San Jose Fire Department spokeswoman Erica Ray.

The fire spread to a large pallet yard adjacent to the auto body shop, said Ray. The fuel from the pallet yard created massive flames and forced firefighters to call in a fourth alarm.

At one point, the fire sparked a roof fire on a neighboring warehouse, but firefighters were able to put that spot fire out.

READ MORE: Pentagon on Lockdown After Nearby ‘Shooting Event,’ Police Say

Though people were warned to stay away from the area during the fire, those who were close by and witnessed its heat and destructive power were surprised.

“Oh man! When I first got out here, it was like a camp fire on steroids,” said witness Dougy Tru. “It was black smoke; that was all you could see. Heavy fire. We’re about 50 yards away from this at the moment, and it felt like 110 degrees on this side of the street. It was insane.”

“I was opening the gate to pull a car back inside, and I turned around and saw big flames in the back and black smoke from the tires,” said Juan Carrillo, who works nearby. “I was surprised because you don’t really expect that to happen.”

Nearby businesses evacuated during the fire and were still evacuated as of 4:25 p..m. said the fire department. However, the department said the fire was “significantly under control.”

There were no injuries reported. The cause of the fire was not immediately known.

MORE NEWS: Dixie Fire Update: Flames Threaten Greenville; 'Fire Was Outpacing Everything We Were Throwing At It'

S. 10th and S. 7th streets remained closed between Phelan and Tully as firefighters continued their work to clear the fire scene.