SAN JOSE (BCN) — A gas leak that prompted the evacuation of three homes Monday morning in downtown San Jose has been contained, fire officials said.
About 9:50 a.m. San Jose fire crews responded to the 80 block of West Reed Street on report of a gas leak.READ MORE: COVID: Fisherman's Wharf In-and-Out Burger Location Temporarily Closed for Not Checking Vax Status
A gas pipe was struck during construction on a residential unit earlier that morning, the fire department found.
In response, San Jose Fire evacuated three homes and closed Reed Street between First Street and South Almaden Avenue.
The department’s hazard incidents team and PG&E were also called to the scene.
The evacuations were necessary to prevent the risk of ignition, or anyone breathing the fumes, San Jose Fire Department spokesperson Erica Ray said.READ MORE: Tearful Memories Linger 30 Years After Deadly Oakland Hills Firestorm
As of noon Monday, only PG&E remained at the scene. Ray said the street is still closed and wasn’t sure if residents were able to return to their homes.
While the leak has been contained, Ray said PG&E did not provide an estimated time for when the work would be completed.
© Copyright 2021 CBS Broadcasting Inc. and Bay City News Service. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.MORE NEWS: UPDATE: Phish Fan Injured After Being Fallen On at SF Chase Center Concert Describes Brush with Death