PG&E To Turn Over San Bruno Pipeline Blast Documents
SAN BRUNO (AP) — Pacific Gas & Electric Co. said it will turn over reams of pages of internal documents related to the deadly gas pipeline explosion in San Bruno to a state lawmaker after all.
After previously refusing to turn over the documents because of the ongoing federal investigation, PG&E said Friday that state Sen. Dean Florez will receive the inspection reports and memos related to the company’s gas pipeline maintenance.
PG&E had initially said there would be thousands of pages involved in the request, but spokesman Andrew Souvall said late Friday it was not clear how many pages were involved. He could not confirm it was a “large volume” as previously described by the utility.
PG&E for weeks had refused Florez’ request, saying the National Transportation Safety Board’s inquiry blocked them from providing the documents.
But an NTSB lawyer said there is no such restriction, and that PG&E was free to turn over the information.
Souvall reiterated a PG&E statement that the utility is working to provide the information as “expeditiously as possible,” but could not say it would be able to provide the documents by Tuesday’s hearing on the explosion by a state Senate committee.
(© 2010 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)