Oakland Swears In 1st Asian Woman To Lead Major U.S. City

OAKLAND (KCBS / AP / BCN) — An Oakland native who narrowly won the race to lead the city was sworn in as its 49th mayor late Monday morning in a ceremony at the Fox Theater.

Sixty-one-year-old Jean Quan becomes the first Asian-American woman to take the helm of a major U.S. city.

KCBS’ Anna Duckworth Reports:

Before the ceremony, Quan walked around Oakland’s Chinatown to several spots that have historical meaning to the city, and to her career. She stopped at Lincoln School, where she was a one-time board member.

”It’s a huge source of pride, her not only being Asian-American, but also the first woman mayor of Oakland,” said Dan Quigly, who is executive director of the school foundation. “At our school we have a majority Asian population, but we also have Latinos and African Americans, so it means a lot for the diversity of the whole city, and honors the diversity of our school.”

KCBS’ Bob Melrose Reports:

As the new mayor, she inherits a $40 million budget deficit and a crime rate that makes Oakland one of the nation’s most dangerous cities.

She said that one of the top items on her agenda is tackling crime.

”I want to talk to, and work with the (police) officers in the city on public safety,” Quan said.

The city councilwoman defeated former State Senate President Pro Tem Don Perata in November, rising to the top through Oakland’s new ranked-choice voting system.

While she didn’t win the most first-choice votes, Quan won enough of the second- and third- choice nods to bump off the other candidates.

Quan, a veteran Oakland politician who served on the city’s school board for 12 years and just completed eight years on the City Council, succeeds Ron Dellums, who served the past four years but decided not to seek re-election.

(© 2011 CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press and Bay City News contributed to this report.)

More from All News KCBS
Comments

1. Brian says:

i am so glad she got the position. this is a great thing for Asian Americans.

1. Van says:

You’re right, Brian. Jean has been in Oakland government for a long time and who better to have seen what is WRONG with Oakland?! It is a very exciting prospect for everyone to have someone experienced with the process wheel and Jean deserves all our support.

2. Scott says:

More of the same old failure politics. Oakland needs new blood at the top, not someone who’s been part of the problem.

1. Victor says:

Scott, did you even read this article or did you read parts of it? Or did you always hate Asian-Americans like like Jean Quan? I think she is the right choice for mayor of Oakland because she has the power to take on highest-rated crimes, and she is not another Ron Dellums. As a San Francisco native and Asian-American, please don’t offend me or other Asian-Americans, read this article (shown above) slowly, and respect us and Jean Quan by not posting any more of your hate comments here.

1. AlexT says:

Gee Victor got a chip on your shoulder? I don’t see any anti-asian comments from Scott. Like Scott and others we do believe that career politicians are the problem and she and others fit the bill!

3. Gregory Broyles says:

I hope the people of Oakland will give more than 18 months to fix the many problems that she is facing ( that seems to be all Obama got!) Congratulations to her and what a great way to ring in the Chinese New Year next month!

4. Scott says:

Victor, my comments have nothing to do with Jean Quan’s ethnicity and I stand by what I said. I have nothing more to say.

5. CMV says:

who cares if she’s Asian!!! has anyone noticed that she has a big dookie hole to clean up? and she can clean it up with support from Oakland citizens. i don’t care if she’s blue with red stripes.

6. Victor says:

Look, I am sorry for what I said, but I only wanted to prevent you guys from starting an Oscar Grant protest-type violent fight over you conflicting comments. However, I admit that I got stressed over left and right cable news pundits who keep bashing each other over their different opinions on various news stories about the media filed by some mainstream media organizations, not just cable.

1. Victor says:

Grammar correction from a word between “over” and “conflicting”: your, not you

Look, I am sorry for what I said, but I only wanted to prevent you guys from starting an Oscar Grant protest-type violent fight over your conflicting comments. However, I admit that I got stressed over left and right cable news pundits who keep bashing each other over their different opinions on various news stories about the media filed by some mainstream media organizations, not just cable.

7. asoke Thapa says:

I am extremely pleased that a woman of Asian descent has become the first woman mayor of a great city like Oakland, California.. This is my way of saying THANKS and CONGRATULATIONS.

Asoke Thapa
    Nepali in Bay Area

1. Van says:

I agree, Asoke. Jean Quan needs everyone’s support and those that are either unwilling or unable to provide it can throw their negative comments around in a useless waste of time. Give Jean the chance and support she deserves as she embarks on a difficult round with Oakland. Jean Quan – 1, naysayers – 0.

8. jon says:

Who cares what her ethnicity or gender is, what matters is if she can lead Oakland in the right direction. And anyone who has gone thru west Oakland recently knows that Jesus Christ himself would have a tough time turning things around