SAN FRANCISCO (BCN) – Seven San Francisco middle school students who were briefly hospitalized Thursday after coming into contact with rat poison they mistook for candy are now okay, a school district spokeswoman said Friday.

“The kids are all fine,” San Francisco Unified School District spokeswoman Heidi Anderson said.

The district is still investigating the incident, Anderson said.

The Martin Luther King Jr. Academic Middle School children, boys and girls all between the ages of 10 and 12, found the poison atop a high filing cabinet in a classroom, according to the fire department.

The school is located at 350 Girard St. in the city’s Portola District.

A concerned parent got a phone call from his daughter saying she and her friends had eaten the rat poison, according to the fire department.

The incident was reported at 12:08 p.m.

Fire Department spokeswoman Lt. Mindy Talmadge said Thursday the children had apparently mistaken the poison for candy, and that two of them ingested it, while the others simply licked it.

None of the students showed any symptoms of poisoning, but were hospitalized as a precaution, Talmadge said.

(© 2011 CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Bay City News contributed to this report.)

Comments (2)
  1. tn says:

    Why is that in America today, more times than not, in every major city, it seems like bad things happen on “Martin Luther King Jr Drive” or in “Martin Luther King Jr Middle School?” After a taste of the “blue cube,” two of the students were over-heard saying, “It tastes like cafeteria food.”

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

Watch & Listen LIVE