Rat Poison Incident At San Francisco School Not Accidental

SAN FRANCISCO (KCBS) – A rat poison-eating incident that hospitalized several students at a San Francisco school last week was not accidental, according to school district officials.

Several students from Martin Luther King Academic Middle School were hospitalized as a precaution after eating the rat poison. None of the students showed any signs of being ill and were released the same day.

“The type of rat poison that the students consumed was not purchased by the district. It’s the type that can be purchased over the counter,” said School District Spokeswoman Gentle Blythe. “When the district does pest control we have a very strict pest management approach, where we have to notify parents 48-hours prior, and the pest control service provider is the only one allowed to handle the chemicals.”

Blythe says some students encouraged the others to try the poison, telling them it was candy.

District officials add that they banned most toxic pesticides in school back in 1998.

(© 2011 CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)

More from All News KCBS

One Comment

  1. Georgia S. says:

    If this was on purpose, they had better find the culprit and do an intervention. This could be the begininnig of something horrible happening in the later years.

  2. Dumb and Dumber says:

    What a bunch of dummies.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS San Francisco

Get The New CBS SF Bay Area Local App
Got Our Weather App?

Listen Live