San Pablo Man Charged With Attempting To Lure Middle Schooler
SAN PABLO (BCN) – A San Pablo man was charged Wednesday for allegedly attempting to lure a 13-year-old girl into his car twice last week, officials said.
Steve Anthony Moore, 47, was scheduled to be arraigned Wednesday afternoon in Contra Costa County Superior Court in Richmond.
On Thursday afternoon, a man approached the girl as she was leaving Helms Middle School and asked her if she wanted a ride, San Pablo police Detective Sgt. Dave Lewellyn said.
The girl got scared and ran away.
The next day, the girl was waiting with two friends at a bus stop on Church Lane at El Portal Drive when the same man approached them again and offered the girl a ride, Lewellyn said.
The girl and her friends ran to a nearby business, where an employee called police.
The group saw the SUV drive into a parking lot behind a nearby apartment complex.
Officers found the SUV in the parking lot and arrested Moore, who lives in the apartment complex.
Lewellyn said Moore allegedly admitted to offering the girl a ride, but didn’t say why he targeted her or even if he knew that he had attempted to lure the same girl twice.
Moore has no history of any similar behavior, Lewellyn said.
Prosecutors charged Moore today two misdemeanor counts of annoying or molesting a child under 18, according to court records.
(© 2011 CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Bay City News contributed to this report.)