SAN FRANCISCO (CBS SF) – A fire that displaced five people from a home in San Francisco’s Mission District on Monday night was sparked by a lamp that was sitting too close to a window drape, a fire department spokeswoman said Tuesday.

The one-alarm fire was reported about 10:25 p.m. at 1454 Alabama St., between Cesar Chavez and 26th streets, fire Lt. Mindy Talmadge said.

The flames were extinguished by 10:40 p.m., Talmadge said.

Four adults and a child were displaced by the blaze, which caused

about $27,000 in damage – $18,000 to the structure and $9,000 to its contents, according to Talmadge.

Talmadge said it appears that a tall floor lamp was too close to the window covering and lit it on fire.

No injuries were reported.

(Copyright 2011 by CBS San Francisco. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Wire services may have contributed to this report.)

  1. Hank McDonald says:

    “Lamp Blamed For Igniting Fire”…… I can see it now. All floor lamps in the city will need to be bolted down to the floor so they can not move all by themselves, too close to flamable objects……

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

Watch & Listen LIVE