California To Seek Federal Aid For Tsunami Damage
SANTA CRUZ (CBS/AP) – California emergency officials said they hope to complete a tsunami damage estimate as early as next week to submit to the federal government in an aid request for wave-battered harbors.
California Emergency Management Agency spokesman Brad Alexander told the Santa Cruz Sentinel that six counties are now part of the request for federal disaster aid.
Alexander said the agency is pegging the damage from last week’s surging waters at $44 million, though the figure could rise.
Gov. Jerry Brown issued an executive order Friday to cut through red tape in state contracting, employment and unemployment aid to speed recovery.
The order applies to Santa Cruz, Del Norte, Mendocino, Humboldt, San Luis Obispo and San Mateo counties. Harbors in Santa Cruz, Crescent City and Fort Bragg were among the hardest-hit.
(Copyright 2011 by CBS San Francisco. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Wire services may have contributed to this report.)