Homeless Man Shot Dead By Dublin Police Sergeant Identified

DUBLIN (CBS/AP) — The homeless man shot and killed by a Dublin police sergeant has been identified.

Authorities said 53-year-old Daryl Podborny was shot on Thursday morning after he attacked the sergeant near an Interstate 680 on-ramp.

The sergeant had apparently approached Podborny while on patrol although it’s not clear why.

Alameda County Sheriff’s spokesman J.D. Nelson says she opened fire after Podborny punched her and knocked her to the ground.

Podborny was pronounced dead at the scene. The sergeant, whose name was not released, was taken to the hospital with serious although not life-threatening head injuries.

Nelson says Podborny had been booked into Santa Rita Jail 17 times since 1979. He was arrested in Los Angeles in 1988 on suspicion of assaulting an officer. He was also arrested in 1994 in Livermore on suspicion of assaulting a first responder.

(Copyright 2011 by CBS San Francisco. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Wire services may have contributed to this report.)

Comments

1. Hoagy says:

Daryl was a fixture in Dublin.I used to give him food and he was always kind and never hostile or acting up.Why would a police officer stop him alone while the Dublin police use two cars to stop you for a traffic ticket.
    No stun gun just pull the trigger and goodbye Daryl.Why?

1. flinnte says:

Police officers have to shoot to kill. There is no such thing that you can shoot to stun or stop someone. No one is that good a shot. Only on TV. If you punch an police officer, they are going to shoot you if they think you are going to harm they. They have to, they don’t know if he’s armed, has a knife, etc, at that point if the officer is alone (due to budgets, they patrol alone everywhere now, whether they admit to it or not) they have to use DEADLY force or they could be killed. This “gentle” homeless man who punched a female police officer to the ground is not so gentle and someone probably reported him to the police. He could have been panhandling as people were trying to go on the highway, etc.

1. hoagy says:

OK He never panhandled and I think he was living under the freeway around there.How do you know who punched who and as we werent there and the cop may be telling the truth backup should have been there and this should not happen.He was someones son.

2. Don says:

He was a waste of a life. Being transient, he should no better than to assault a cop at night.

1. hoagy says:

Don,Who are you to judge he may have been Jesus for all you know.Why is your life more important than his or anyone else,s.Because you have a house payment and work in a cubical?

2. Packers says:

Hoagy – If you would read other news articles about this topic you would know that back up was on the way. The incident only lasted three minutes from the time the sergeant contacted dispatch to shooting the individual. True somebody’s son did die, but in the mean time somebody’s daughter was getting overpowered and her head smashed into the cement. It was life or death, he got what he deserved. She was a field training officer and on the force for over twenty years – I’m sure she knows how to do her job.

3. Brock says:

Can’t honestly say I’m sorry to see the guy go. Don’t need bums lurking around Safeway and Caspers …IMO. Also I’m usually not unhappy with Dublin PD (Sheriff) ~WAY~ over-zealous tactics because it seems to keep the riff-raff down. However I have to agree with Hoagy .. Since when is a Dublin officer ever alone … I bet the chick-cop flinched and panicked.

4. Reality says:

Hoagy, Why was this guy’s life more valuable than hers? Officers don’t always need backup, we don’t know the situation so don’t make one up. If he did hit her, he got what he knew was coming. He has obviously attacked people in the past from the sounds of his unacceptable record. Thank God she reacted how she did, or that “daughter” could have lost her life for no reason other than protecting people like you. I am SURE she is not happy about the situation and I have empathy for her having to live with something that happened out of necessary self defense. Open your eyes Hoagie, you definetly have a misguided and obscurred bleeding heart. I bet you wish you were in her shoes so you could have risked your life for no good reason. I doubt he had good intentions.

1. hoagy says:

Daryls Mom died 2days before this happened.Not saying this is a reason for violence but the officer should have stayed in her car and waited for backup as policy.She ordered him to stop and he was walking away in a very lit up car lot.
        Where could he go?She went after hiim and that lead to the scuffle.
        Nothing against this cop as she has to live with this and was in the hospital for a few hours.Just could have been avoided if common sense was used.

2. Tim says:

This is a sad and unfortunate event. However, as a long time resident of Dublin I remember when Deputy Angela Schwab responded to a burglary call at Outback and went in alone which later led to Office Monego going in to rescue her which led to his death. You think Dublin would’ve learned from the first tragedy and would not allow officers to approach suspicious persons without back up. I agree with Hoagy, this didn’t have to happen.

3. Chas says:

I always see a guy with a bicycle with all of his belongings. Could this be him?

4. JD says:

He’s been on the streets over 30 years and she knew him. She should have called for backup. Where’s the ACLU?

5. flinnte says:

You are looney, cops patrol ALONE all the time now, they can’t afford to have two cops in every car. And they approach homeless people every day alone, they’re cops, they’re not nuns! You want two cops in every car and unlimited back up, open your wallets, they’re happy to provide all the police power you want.

1. hoagy says:

Have you ever been pulled over in Dublin?Weeknights especially they always have backup and no not together each in own car.

1. Brock says:

Hoagy is right on this … live in D-town and you know it. God forbid you are ever stopped .. you’ll feel like the end of the Blues Brothers movie.

2. Res 58 says:

flinnte- The next time you get pulled over for a traffic violation (assuming you still drive?)and the DPD swarms you with 2-3 cars, lights going, blocking traffic, the whole 9 yards and tell me you dont think the DPD is a little silly and embarrassing! You say there is ALWAYS a Dublin cop patrolling alone and never two cops in a car, I agree, but you almost never see ONE car at a routine stop! So why was this officer approaching this guy in the middle of the night BY HERSELF?? For now I am giving her the benifit of the doubt, maybe she DID know him and was familair with his travels and didnt think he would harm her? Then when he did, she opened fire? Dont blame her in that scenerio.But lets wait and see when we have the facts of the situation.

6. Vic Damone says:

This is the reason women should not be street cops. A man would not have been overpowered so easily and forced to use lethal force.

1. CV says:

Bingo!

Exactly what I was thinking after hearing and reflecting on this sad event.

7. TJ says:

I saw this guy around Dublin from time to time and as people have stated he never once appeared to be discourteous or harmful in any way. Truthfully nobody here knows what transpired that day, but we do know he is no longer with us. It’s unfortunate simply stated and frankly it’s a little disturbing. For the record I can’t recall one time during my 17 years of driving in the tri-valley (personal experiences) that an officer didn’t have backup. This place is practically a DUI mecca and to be honest I don’t see a void in police presence.

8. al says:

Obviously the guy had issues. Look at his history of attacking cops. He got what he deserved. Had he been in San Jose he would have been long gone. Yeah, he may have been nice to average citizens, but had issues with law enforcement. I guess the officer got up that morning and said to herself ” I’m gonna kill me a bum today”. She probably rightfully stopped him and he attacked her. She had the right to use lethal force on him.

1. hoagy says:

Al your ignorant

9. Ralph Cisneros says:

don ,
    what if that transient was your son turned l( that can happen to all walks of life- alcoholism) would he still be a waste of life if that was your son/ seriously?
    this could happen to one of your relatives are your relatives a waste of life
    if it happened in your family? do you know what a soul is?
    and is there a bible in your house ?

1. Dublin Resident says:

Ralph, if my son was dumb enough to attack an on duty police officer in a dark, empty car lot in the middle of the night, I would absolutely understand that the police officer had no choice but to kill him.

If your upstanding citizen daughter, a 20 year police veteran Sergeant, was killed by a transient with a history of violence – would you wish she had had the chance to kill him first? Would you wonder why she didn’t pull her gun? Do you think she WANTED to kill him? It will likely haunt her the rest of her life.

All of you need to quit acting like this is a terrible shame. DON’T HIT COPS AND TRY TO SMASH THEIR HEADS INTO THE ASPHALT. You might live long enough to panhandle for next Coors tallboy the next morning.

10. Yessica Mendez says:

I FEEL SO BAD ABOUT WHAT HAPPEND TO DARYL, I WORK IN TAQUERIA AZTECA, AND I KNW HIM BY YEARS, AND HE NEVER SAID ANYTHING BAD TO ME AND MY COW WORKERS…. I DONT THING HE WAS AN AGRESSIVE PERSON, HE WAS ALWAYS QUIET AND RESPECFULL, HE NEVER WAS ASKING FOR FOOD OR FOR MONEY, HE WAS ALWAYS OUT SIDE OF THE RESTAURANT JUST TO WAIT FOR THE PPL TO FINISH EATING SO HE CAN GET THE REST OF THE FOOD FROM THE GARBAGE,,, HE IS GOIN TO BE MISS FROM ME AND MY COW WORKERS IN TAQUERIA AZTECA.. R.I.P DARYL..!!

11. Ben says:

Everyone who knew Daryl describes him as kind.

The female cop created the entire situation, and essentially killed Daryl because of her “cop” attitude. How many times do you hear of a cop killing an unarmed person, because the cop felt threatened.

Get a life cop, you are the one with the gun. You are the menace to society.

12. Jman says:

No need for female cops. Can’t handle the job like a man. Think they can, but I tell you this, if one wanted to take me to jail and I didn’t want to go, there is no way she could take me.