Sonoma County Man Sentenced In Machete Attack

SANTA ROSA (CBS / AP) — A Sonoma County man has been sentenced to nearly 16 years in prison for trying to kill his girlfriend with a machete.

After being convicted in March of attempted murder, mayhem and other charges, Sonoma County prosecutors say Javier Gonzalez-Rodriguez on Thursday was ordered to serve the maximum sentence of 15 years and eight months.

During his trial, prosecutors told jurors that Gonzalez-Rodriguez tried to kill the 26-year-old woman in August 2009 when he attacked her with a machete at a homeless camp where the two lived.

The woman, according to investigators, was trying to end their relationship before she was attacked.

She survived the attack, but suffered a skull fracture and fractures in her hand. Prosecutors say the 44-year-old Gonzalez-Rodriguez will have to serve 85 percent of his sentence before being eligible for parole.

(Copyright 2011 by CBS San Francisco. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Wire services may have contributed to this report.)

1. christina says:

interesting how everytime you read about a violent act it always involves a person of color..Tired of these racist articles

1. Jason says:

Every time? No. They don’t spot light anybody’s race in this article, they mention a name. I believe a person of any race who attempts to kill a person with a machete is likely to be mentioned in a news article.

This probably isn’t a case of selective reporting. I feel like they would be doing the community a disservice if they omitted the name of the perpetrator’s name.

1. Biker says:

With a name like “Javier Gonzalez-Rodriguez” I think it’s pretty clear what his race is.

2. Keith says:

how is it racist? he’s not the victim fool. He did the act and the public should know. don’t be so stupid

3. Gilberto says:

Every criminal has a name and I certainly don’t mind if the media shares that with me especially if it’s anywhere near where I live. Don’t get down right silly dropping the ‘R’ word so quickly.

2. hugo poppernuts says:

you know I remember one night I got out of the club and noticed 3 black guys were following me and I remember I purchased a machete earlier that day at Home Depot for my garden. I got to my car, opened the trunk and grabbed it and screamed toward them with my machete and they ran across the street. Now I keep a machete in my trunk. I rather be caught with it then without it.

1. Keith says:

way to go HUGO. We should all bear arms to protect ourselves.