LOS ANGELES (CBS / AP) — Investigators are confident the case will proceed against a man suspected of assaulting a San Francisco Giants fan outside Dodger Stadium, Los Angeles Police Chief Charlie Beck said Thursday.
Speaking to reporters outside the police headquarters building, Beck said he wasn’t concerned with defense attorney claims that Giovanni Ramirez was nowhere near the stadium the day of the March 31 attack.
“I have very specific legal considerations that have to be met …. Those have been more than met in this case,” Beck said. “We will present a case to the prosecution, and we will do that at a time that it’s most advantageous to the prosecution.”
Ramirez, 31, was arrested May 22 but has still not been charged in the case, though he remains in custody for an alleged violation of his parole conditions. Police suspect he led the two-man attack against Bryan Stow, a 42-year-old paramedic who remains in critical but stable condition under heavy sedation to prevent seizures caused by traumatic brain injury.
The second man remains at large, as does a woman who was spotted driving two men away from the stadium.
Beck shrugged off news that defense lawyers had obtained several sworn statements from Ramirez’s family members and other people attesting to seeing him elsewhere in Los Angeles when the beating took place. The chief said his investigators were speaking to all those people who could provide potential alibis.
Earlier this week, Ramirez took two lie detector tests. One was administered by his defense team, the other by police.
Beck confirmed that police in Henderson, Nev., were working on a case that potentially involves Ramirez as a suspect in a separate incident. A law enforcement official has previously told The Associated Press the case stems from an attempted murder shooting.
(Copyright 2011 by CBS San Francisco. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Wire services may have contributed to this report.)