Eye On The Bay: Daytrip, Livermore – 6/23/11

Daytrips don’t always have to involve beaches, redwoods, or San Francisco neighborhoods.  Daytrips can also be, to Livermore!

Livermore?

It’s 100 percent the city that has it all – an historic downtown, tasty dining options and a wine country built literally, by families, some who changed careers to try their hands at a way of life that’s shaped this ranching valley.

LIVERMORE WINE COUNTRY

There are several large, well-established wineries and tasting rooms, and DOZENS of charming, mom and pop wineries (most opened on weekends only – please check for times).  We recommend visiting the Livermore Valley Winegrowers Association website for a comprehensive listing:

Livermore Winegrowers Association
www.lvwine.org

To tour the Livermore Valley by bicycle (this was a blast!!!), visit:

Livermore Valley Wine and Cycle Tours:
www.livermorewineandcycletours.com

To tour the property of Ruby Hill Winery by bus, visit:

Ruby Hill Winery (Mello Cielo Bus Tours)
400 Vineyard Avenue
Pleasanton, CA 94566
(925) 931-9463
www.rubyhillwinery.net

Check out an amazing wine lounge on the property of Concannon, one of the valley’s oldest wineries:

Underdog Wine Bar
4590 Tesla Road, Livermore, CA
925 583-1570

Here are some of the mom and pop wineries we visited:

Tenuta Vineyards

McGrail Winery and Vineyards
5600 Greenville Road
Livermore, CA 94550
(925) 215-0717
www.mcgrailvineyards.com

DOWNTOWN DAYTRIP:

Lots to do and eat in Livermore’s historic downtown.  The Downtown Livermore website is the first place to start for all activities, including the THURSDAY NIGHT FARMER’s MARKET!!!!!!

Downtown Livermore
www.livermoredowntown.com

Here are some of the stops we made, including dinner and a movie (inside the theater!!!!) and a visit to the charming Blacksmith Square, which has a number of great shops and wine tasting and dining spots!

Riata Diner and Tavern

(925) 961-1000
www.zephyrgrill.com

Blacksmith Square
21 & 25 South Livermore Ave
Livermore, CA 94550
www.blacksmithsquarelivermore.com

Artisitc Edge (inside Blacksmith Square)
21 S Livermore Ave # 113
Livermore, CA, 94550
(925) 454-0369
www.artisticedgelivermore.com

Swirl on the Square
21 South Livermore Avenue #105
Livermore CA 94554
(925) 477-1400
www.swirlonthesq.com

ACTIVITIES ABOUT TOWN:

On families “Bay Area bucket list” should be a visit to Fire Station 6 to see the famed longest burning Livermore Light Bulb:
www.centennialbulb.org

Maybe you’re into daytripping adventures, extreme-style!  How about a flight aboard a combat acrobatic plane:

Attitude Aviation
299 West Jack London Boulevard
Livermore, CA 94551-7637
(925) 456-2276
www.attitudeaviation.com

Into history?  On the third Sunday of the month, one of the oldest auto repair shops in the Bay Area opens to the public.  It’s the Duarte Garage and it’s tied to the rich history of the Lincoln Highway, the first transcontinental highway in the U.S.   For more information, visit:

Livermore Heritage Guild
www.livermorehistory.com

More from Eye On The Bay
Comments

1. Tom Florek says:

A restaurant was mentioned that had a boar’s head but I didn’t catch the name, and it’s not listed here. Can you provide the name?

1. Shane says:

I am trying to watch the videos because I was at the Farmer’s Market and missed the broadcast. However, the page keeps refreshing on me and I am unable to get through each of the segments. Very frustrating and very user UNfriendly.

2. Anita says:

How can I watch an online video of this episode?

1. Eye on the Bay says:

I apologize for the delay but the videos are up now

3. IDA says:

HEY I DON’T SEE ANYTHING ABOUT THAT QUAINT WINE BAR IN BLACKSMITH’S SQUARE. I SAW IT ON YOUR SHOW, BUT DON’T SEE A WEBSITE LINK. PLEASE ADD TO YOUR LIST. THANKS!

1. Diana says:

It’s Swirl on the Square… there’s also another wine tasting room in the square

1. Eye on the Bay says:

Thank you so much Diana for responding here is all of their contact information as well:

Swirl on the Square
        21 South Livermore Avenue #105
        Livermore CA 94554
        (925) 477-1400

4. IDA says:

How can I watch an online video of this episode?

1. Eye on the Bay says:

The video is up now🙂

5. Wendy says:

I would like to see a the video as well.

1. Eye on the Bay says:

Hi Wendy! I appreciate your patience the video is available online now!

6. James says:

The restaurant with the boars head is the Junction Bar/grill and it’s located about 25 miles south of Livermore on Mines road… http://Www.thejunctionbarandgrill.com

Great drive!!!!!!

1. Eye on the Bay says:

Thank you for passing on the information!

7. Margie says:

Please fix (preferably eliminate, but at least lengthen) your insanely frequent refresh rate. It is impossible to get through the first segment (nearly 8 minutes long plus commercial) when you have about a 6 minute refresh rate. I was able to get through the 3rd segment (just over 6 minutes) just barely with some skipping ahead in the video, but my computer cannot load the video fast enough for this to work on the first segment. I have tried 2 computers and 3 browsers and it is impossible to see the end of the segment! BOO on your website. Will not visit again until this is addressed. Maybe frequent refresh generates more revenue from your ads, but it will do you no good if you lose your viewers.

1. Eye on the Bay says:

Hi Margie, I am so sorry you were so disatisfied with our website I will pass your information along to see if there is anything we can do to fix this. I wish you all the best.

8. deb says:

Yah, that 6 min refresh is evil and unnecessary. C’mon guys! Do this RIGHT!!

1. Eye on the Bay says:

I’m sorry for the inconvenience our IT team is looking into this issue but in the mean time if you would like so view some of our videos without an “auto-refresh” please go to “Video’s on Demand” section of our site http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/category/watch-listen/video-on-demand/ and in the search box type in the name of the show you are hoping to see “Daytrip: Livermore”. I hope this helps.

9. Keith says:

I have also been having problems with your refresh rate. As a native of the town and with a 3 second cameo on one of the segments, my wife wanted to know if there was a way of downloading the segments, so I could burn a DVD to save.

10. Drusilla Mott says:

I just wanted to say thanks for this story. I live in New York and do not get to see my son John very often. He works at Underdog Wine Bar, and was in that segment. It was really wonderful to see him…even if it was only through the internet. Thank you again…it made my day!