San Francisco Cable Car Line Back In Operation
SAN FRANCISCO (CBS SF) — The California Street cable car line will be back on track Monday morning after a six-month shutdown for repairs, according to the San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency.
San Francisco Mayor Ed Lee will welcome the return of the California line, which has been undergoing maintenance since January, at a ribbon-cutting ceremony scheduled for 10 a.m., SFMTA spokesman Paul Rose said.
KCBS’s Doug Sovern reports:
The repairs were part of the California Street Infrastructure Improvement Project, which involved improvements on the 17 blocks of California Street between Drumm Street and Van Ness Avenue.
The project replaced electrical and mechanical components that support the cable car system, reconstructed streets, installed curb ramps, repaired sidewalk curbs and replaced sewers, Rose said.
Monday’s ceremony also recognizes the completion of the Powell Cable Car Improvement Project, which involved three separate five-day shutdowns of the Powell-Mason and Powell-Hyde cable car lines, he said.
Although narrower in scope, the project involved replacing the propulsion systems on the cable car lines and the control console in the cable car barn at Washington and Mason streets. It was completed earlier this month.
It took years of planning and coordination between city agencies to perform the maintenance on the 27-year-old lines, Rose said.
The ribbon-cutting event was scheduled to take place at the end of the California line at California and Drumm streets
(Copyright 2011 by CBS San Francisco. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Wire services may have contributed to this report.)