Alcohol May Have Played Role In Sonoma Sleepover Death

SANTA ROSA (CBS SF) — A 14-year-old girl died after apparently drinking soda spiked with alcohol at a sleepover in Sonoma County on Saturday night, a Sonoma County sheriff’s lieutenant said Monday.

The sheriff’s office identified the girl as Takeimi Rao, of Santa Rosa, who recently graduated from Rincon Valley Middle School.

KCBS’ Mark Seelig Reports:

An autopsy is scheduled for Monday, but the cause of Rao’s death won’t be determined until toxicology test results are in, Lt. Dennis O’Leary said.

Three other girls attended the sleepover at Rao’s house, located in the 6000 block of Foothill Ranch Road in unincorporated Sonoma County north of Santa Rosa, O’Leary said.

Around 3 a.m., some of the girls became ill and vomited, and Rao’s mother helped clean them up and put them back to sleep, believing that they had food poisoning, O’Leary said.

Rao’s mother also looked in on her daughter, who appeared to be asleep in her bed, O’Leary said.

When Rao’s mother went to wake her around 9 a.m., she was unresponsive and the mother then called 911, O’Leary said.

One of the girls admitted to bringing alcohol into the room, and sheriff’s deputies recovered a bottle of alcohol, O’Leary said.

“The parents are really good parents and they were home the entire night,” O’Leary said.

It’s believed the girls were experimenting with alcohol they had found in the house, O’Leary said.

Friends are posting messages on a Facebook page titled “Rest in Peace Takeimi Rao.”

“I only had to hang out with you as much as we did for me to love you. I’ll miss you girl rest in peace. I will never forget you,” one post read.

“Nobody this young and beautiful should have passed away. Especially at 14. Everyone misses you. Hopefully this will all teach us a lesson. Somebody should have been there to prevent it. RIP,” read another post.

(Copyright 2011 by CBS San Francisco. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)

More from Mark Seelig
Comments

One Comment

  1. Miss Dee says:

    This is scary. Just goes to show you can have parental oversight and still not be able to control what kids will do. How sad for the parents.

    1. Booze says:

      The booze were from the parents, it is sad, but set a good example for kids, and don’t use alcohol and have it around for kids to find and experiment with.

      1. Nikki says:

        Are you a Morman?

      2. Living Life says:

        Booze – you are a complete idiot! Kids experiment – kids have experimented since the dawn of time! Unfortunately this had a horrible ending, but it’s not the first time and it won’t be the last time. This is not a fault of the parents – yes, we can all live under lock and key, but life will happen whether you want it to or not. Bad things happen to good people – that is a fact. Pray it doesn’t happen to anyone in your family, but DO NOT cast stones. Beware, you never know what will happen in your life.

      3. Laney says:

        Living Life: Thank you for your comments….my thoughts exactly and I am sure you speak for many of us. “Booze” you are an IDIOT.

        Rest in Peace, Takeimi Rao.

  2. Dawg says:

    What a tragedy and only 14, my thoughts and prayers are with the family.

  3. Billy says:

    I’ll bet there is more to the story here. Maybe a friend was jealos, maybe a boyfriend came to the sleep over and had something to do with it, maybe it was a weird neighbor. Too much TV for me

  4. JoMama says:

    I’m reminded of all the stupid things I did as a kid and was fortunate enough to survive…rest in peace little lady.

  5. Living Life says:

    Kids experiment – kids have experimented since the dawn of time! Unfortunately this had a horrible ending, but it’s not the first time and it definately will not be the last time. This is not a fault of the parents – yes, we can all live under lock and key, but life will happen whether you want it to or not. Bad things happen to good people – that is a fact. Pray it doesn’t happen to anyone in your family, but DO NOT cast stones. Have some compassion for these parents and remember that it can happen to you.

  6. jsan fran says:

    BEWARE???????????? You’re a bunch of thug nut cases. Normal people don’t “Live in fear” And we know bad things happen to good people. I don’t need a moral lesson from gangsters. Thanks.

    1. Living Life says:

      hahahahahaha – your comment is hilarious!

  7. Anon says:

    Not the least bit surprised that it’s some teenage dimwit who just wanted to get wasted with her friends. This is why we need more drug and alcohol abuse education programs in school. All parents need to stop thinking that something like this won’t ever happen to their children.

  8. Lorena says:

    Wow! it’s amazing that parents can’t control what their children do.
    RIP

  9. Mari says:

    Booze’s point is if the parents hadn’t had booze in the house, this may have been avoided! If the kids are going to experiment, don’t assist them by having a tempting drug in the house that YOU BOUGHT!

  10. Bryan says:

    This was on the news last night and they kept saying we’re not sure why the girls got sick it might have been food poisoning and all that. I was like no these girls drank and got sick and one died from it. This is not a tragedy though people this was young people trying something and one of them reacting very badly too it. I hate when people call everything a tragedy, save it for the real ones ok. Quite frankly it’s just sad and kids think they’re so cool, I remember that but was always smart. Even when I was stupid. Know your limitations little ones, you aren’t ready for booze at such a young age.

  11. Zanne says:

    I experimented when I was a kid. My parents did all they could to prevent it. I had wonderful, loving parents but I found a way to party. Kids are going to experiment. Parents can lay the ground work and educate their kids about the dangers of drinking and doing drugs. It’s not always enough, but there’s only so much one can do without keeping them locked up. And, that’s not a realistic action. Bad things happen to good people sometimes and it’s very sad. Putting blame on the parents isn’t right especially since we don’t know the whole story. It’s not for us to judge.

    I experimented and always found a way to party. I was one of the lucky ones since I’m still here today despite close calls. Sadly others will do the same and may not be as lucky.

    RIP sweet girl. My heart goes out to the family.

    1. Lorena says:

      You are right Zanne, we are no one to pass judgement.

  12. JillyBan says:

    There but for the grace of God go almost ALL of us. We are lucky to survive our youthful experiments – I know I am and I had GREAT parents who were all over us all the time. We still manage to do some dumb, potentially dangerous stuff.

    RIP and deepest sympathy and sincere condolences to the family….

  13. G says:

    IN THIS CASE IF YOU CRUZ WITH BOOOZE, YOU DO NOT LOSE! BOOZE IS RIGHT. IF IT WAS NOT IN THE HOUSE THAT NIGHT, I WOULD HAVE NO POST!

  14. DCS622 says:

    There is no way this young girls family is to blame for this. Parents cannot watch children 100% of the time,. I did some dangerous, stupid things when I was 14 but was lucky I realized when I got older, that I ever survived. The girls obviously did this all together and unfortunately one paid the ultimate price for an experiment. I only hope other children learn from this horror. May she rest in peace and hopefully the family will not be balmed.

  15. ed rolson says:

    sad. she looks

  16. slowroasted says:

    Agree completely with the first poster. Why not set an example for your kids? Have some though that your children are watching everything you do and emulating your example.

  17. 415FoOFoo says:

    1 cup of liquor can kill you??????

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS San Francisco

Get The New CBS SF Bay Area Local App
Got Our Weather App?

Listen Live