Elderly Woman, Caregiver Severely Hurt In San Francisco House Fire
SAN FRANCISCO (CBS SF) — An elderly woman and her caregiver suffered severe burns before they were rescued from a fire at a San Francisco home late Sunday night, an assistant fire chief said.
San Francisco firefighters responded to one-alarm fire at 1980 Jackson St. around 11:30 p.m., Assistant Fire Chief Kevin Burke said. By that time, smoke was pouring from the upper windows of the three-story house.
Firefighters found the victims, an 86-year-old woman and her caretaker, a woman in her 60s, both unconscious inside the home, Burke said.
It appeared as if the women had been trying to escape before they were overcome. “I think one of them may have retreated to the bathroom, and the other one was not in the bed so she probably made some sort of an effort to get out of the room also,” Burke said.
KCBS’ Holly Quan Reports:
The women were taken to the hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation and serious burns, Burke said. One was transported to the burn center at Saint Francis Hospital, and the other was taken to San Francisco General.
Fire investigators said the fire appeared to have started in the bedroom. A preliminary investigation revealed the fire might be linked to lit cigarettes, Burke said.
The fire was brought under control just before midnight. The home sustained sustained significant damage to the bedroom and the roof, but there was no word on the estimated cost of damage.
(Copyright 2011 by CBS San Francisco. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)