BART Warns Passengers Of Another Possible Service Disruption
SAN FRANCISCO (KCBS) – Bay Area Rapid Transit officials are again warning passengers of a possible service delay during the Monday evening commute through San Francisco on word of a planned protest at the Civic Center station.
BART Board President Bob Franklin said that once again, the protest has a lot to do with the transit agency shutting off cell phone service earlier this month.
KCBS’ Tim Ryan Reports:
He said if possible, customers should have an alternative in place in case service is disrupted in downtown San Francisco.
“Rely on BART service in the morning and there could be a disturbance in the afternoon,” Franklin said.
Franklin defends the cell phone shutdown and said that disruptions on crowded BART platforms are dangerous and can stall trains at the wrong time.
“It’s unfair to a person in a wheelchair or a pregnant mother,” he said.
KCBS Insider Phil Matier said he expects both BART and San Francisco police to step up security on Monday.
“I think BART’s going to step it up today. I wouldn’t be surprised if they have more cops…and start making some arrests to try to put a dent in the protests and disruptions on the commute,” Matier said.
KCBS and Chronicle Insider Phil Matier:
Matier said BART riders are beginning to show that they are fed up with the disruptions.
“I think BART’s trying to do take a two-pronged approach: One, they are not going to shutdown cell phone in the future. And two, we’re going to up the police presence so we don’t have to shut down the rail,” said Matier.
On August 15, the loosely organized hacker group Anonymous launched a similar protest, disrupting service at four BART stations throughout the early evening commute.
You can hear Phil Matier’s comments Monday through Friday at 7:50am and 5:50pm on KCBS All News 740AM and 106.9FM.
(Copyright 2011 by CBS San Francisco. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)