BART Warns Passengers Of Another Possible Service Disruption

SAN FRANCISCO (KCBS) – Bay Area Rapid Transit officials are again warning passengers of a possible service delay during the Monday evening commute through San Francisco on word of a planned protest at the Civic Center station.

BART Board President Bob Franklin said that once again, the protest has a lot to do with the transit agency shutting off cell phone service earlier this month.

KCBS’ Tim Ryan Reports:

He said if possible, customers should have an alternative in place in case service is disrupted in downtown San Francisco.

“Rely on BART service in the morning and there could be a disturbance in the afternoon,” Franklin said.

Franklin defends the cell phone shutdown and said that disruptions on crowded BART platforms are dangerous and can stall trains at the wrong time.

“It’s unfair to a person in a wheelchair or a pregnant mother,” he said.

KCBS Insider Phil Matier said he expects both BART and San Francisco police to step up security on Monday.

“I think BART’s going to step it up today. I wouldn’t be surprised if they have more cops…and start making some arrests to try to put a dent in the protests and disruptions on the commute,” Matier said.

KCBS and Chronicle Insider Phil Matier:

Matier said BART riders are beginning to show that they are fed up with the disruptions.

“I think BART’s trying to do take a two-pronged approach: One, they are not going to shutdown cell phone in the future. And two, we’re going to up the police presence so we don’t have to shut down the rail,” said Matier.

On August 15, the loosely organized hacker group Anonymous launched a similar protest, disrupting service at four BART stations throughout the early evening commute.

You can hear Phil Matier’s comments Monday through Friday at 7:50am and 5:50pm on KCBS All News 740AM and 106.9FM.

(Copyright 2011 by CBS San Francisco. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)

More from Tim Ryan
Comments

1. PLW says:

When will the unlawful demonstrators be arrested and held accountable for their unlawful actions that interfer with public transportation? San Francisco is turning into a zoo where the animals are in control.

2. connie says:

We bart riders should defend our selves from these self righteous protestors!
    kick them where the sun don’t shine ..if they prevent you from going home safely!
    Report any suspicious behavior to the Bart police to help crack these spineless
    rats from putting us ,the public in danger! There are emergency phones at every station to do so !

3. mike says:

funny how these protesters never protest in the morning…lazy useless garbage

4. sara sammie says:

STUPID LAZY POS’s…. wanna PI$$ the innocent people off, … you are biting the hand that feeds you…. i DO NOT SUPPORT your cause because you make me late to work and to pick my kids up… you wanna protest, protest at BART headquarters.. block them in, jump on their cars…. dont protest the innocent people…. YOU ALL ARE NOTHING BUT LOW LIFE, MOB OF THUGS!!!!!!!~ leave me out of it… i hope BART shuts down service again… im fine with that, and im fine with no service at the statiosn these people are at…. its about making sure people are safe….. i would hate to see one fall onto the track….

5. Jim says:

This article lies. On August 15 There were more journalists and police than there were protestors. It was BART which disrupted the service, not the protestors.

6. Roy says:

I think its funny that half of these protesters ride on BART to get to the protest. I was talking about how fed up I am with this nonsense, I mention that these protests are over a bunch of losers that could not use twitter, and I am told I am misinformed. I am also told that this is a “revolution”! A revolution towards what, I notice that people are comparing this to Egypt or Iran which is another thing that drives me off the deep end, its a transit agency, funded in part by the government, yes, but they still have the right to quell a protest when it threatens commuters, and I would rather they cut off mobile service for 200 morons to help the commute of 100,000. I think here the majority is more important than the self-righteous hipster minority.

7. George says:

I think a baton to the head will quiet this “protest”.