Woman Gives Birth On Philippines-To-SFO Flight

SAN FRANCISCO INT’L AIRPORT (CBS SF) – Aida Alamillo, 41, knew she was in for a long flight when she boarded a San Francisco-bound plane in Manila Monday night.

But despite being nearly nine months pregnant, the Filipino woman said she wasn’t expecting what came next—her son’s birth mere hours before the Boeing 747 landed.

“I didn’t expect I would have a baby there…it just happened,” she said Tuesday from her room at the Mills-Peninsula Medical Center in Burlingame, where she and her newborn were transported upon landing in San Francisco.

KCBS’ Holly Quan Reports:

Although she was due to give birth on Sept. 28, Alamillo said she got the ok to fly from her doctor in the Philippines and Philippine Airlines medical personnel. She said she was in a rush to visit her ailing father in Boston, where she plans to live.

The mother of four was traveling with her 13-year-old son, whom she said alerted flight attendants during the flight that she was experiencing stomach pains.

When what she quickly realized were contractions grew stronger, flight attendants led Alamillo to a private spot in a Business Class cabin on the plane’s upper deck.

A trio of nurses traveling on the flight came up to help after a flight attendant announced that a passenger was going into labor, she said.

At 3:25 p.m. Monday, just a few hours before the plane was set to land, Alamillo gave birth to a healthy baby boy.

“It happened very fast,” she said.

Philippine Airlines officials said the plane’s passengers burst into applause after hearing the baby’s cries fill the cabin.

The flight crew alerted a medical team on the ground to prepare to transport Alamillo and her son.

On Tuesday, the pair rested comfortably at the hospital.

Alamillo named her newborn son Kevin Raymar Francis Domingo—adding the name “Francis” as a nod to his birth en route to San Francisco.

(Copyright 2011 by CBS San Francisco. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)

1. Miles Long says:

I bet all the women on that plane were nurses.

1. Moock says:

OK, that made me laugh out loud…

2. Marina says:

I bet so too, LOL.

3. Dina says:

At the end of the day, perhaps all that should be commented on and celebrated is that the new baby boy is healthy, fine and doing well. I am not sure having delivered two babies the normal way (in a hospital) how frightened I would have been for my baby and myself delivering on a plane with strangers at 30,000 feet…..how about we just celebrate a beautiful new life that arrived instead of criticism …

1. Mari says:

She planned the whole [d] a m n thing, DING-DONG DINA!

4. minibrings says:

my first thought was.. only 3 nurses helped?

5. Ellen says:

Miles, just in case you are not aware, most Filipina women are either nurses or teachers, a noble profession. However, I am not a teacher or a nurse. I am a CPA/CFE. Probably these nurses are coming back from their visit in the Philippines. Also, we do not know the status of the woman who had the baby. Maybe she maybe a nurse after all. Tourist visa to visit the United States is not easy to obtained from the Philippines. I know so, because I have been trying to bring my relatives to visit the US. I came to this country sometimes in 1976.

6. Filipino by Heart says:

I worked as a Travel Agent back in Manila before working in the Stock Exchange here in the US. I was born in Manila. I just want everyone to understand how hard it is to get a tourist visa. You have to have assets , LOTS of assets, then go through the interview process. The US Ambassador’s Staff will listen and weigh the details of your reason to enter the US. Many failed. Even if you have a sick or dying parent or sibling is not a good enough reason. We don’t know what kind of visa this lady has, whether tourist, work or petitioned, it is equally difficult to come in to the USA. And those who are here are hard working people. By the way, Filipino nurses rocks!!

7. EllenCFE says:

To all the interested readers, Just letting you know that there are articles in Google that you can read about the story. According to the Philippine Airlines Office in Manila, the woman is 35 weeks pregnant.

8. dbarco says:

My experience tells me this was a mom who wanted to have her child born in the US!!! Who else flies in their final trimester?

1. JaneQPublic says:

My thought exactly! And doesn’t this mean the newborn becomes an ‘anchor baby’ because it was born in American airspace? Hmm….

And we are really supposed to believe that ‘it just happened’ – when this is an experienced mother with two children already and she is THITRY-FIVE weeks pregnant????

2. Matt says:

1. David in Fresno says:

NOT an anchor baby. The plane is operated by Philippines Airlines. The baby is Philippino because it was born on a Philippine plane.

2. dot says:

You’re ignorant.He could not be an”anchor baby”. WHY? Find out the legal reason, come back and post it.It will enlighten you and some of the readers.

3. jeff says:

Should not bean anchor baby. Philipine woman on Philipine plane born in flight not on US soil. NO WAY! I suppose some SF libbie will argue that though.

4. Deckard says:

There is no such thing as anchor babies. It is a myth. A U.S. citizen child cannot petition for a parent until they turn 21, and even if they petition on their birthday, there are huge backlogs in the number of visas available. If you figure it would take about 30 years for a person to immigrate to the U.S., the parent probably has little reason to immigrate at that point. Thus, there is no anchor.

5. jerrystr says:

She should have flown on an American Airline then the baby could have been declared as US born. As far as “Anchor Baby”, there are anchor babies. 1. to establish a point on a possigble petition filing. 2. to establish someone in the family who can later in life petition other family members. It takes a lot of patience but for those who wait, the family eventually will get to come to the USA, even if it takes 20 years or more.

6. Moni says:

This is not a question of what airline this baby was born on. It is a question of if this child was born over US International waters. She could have been a Philippino mother on a crop duster and it would not have made any difference. Location is the game changer here. The thing that puzzles me is she mentions that she wanted Baby Kevin born in the united States so that he would automatically be a US Citizen. This is something she fails to realize, Even if he is a US Citizen that doesnt keep her in this country. Too often illegal immigrants from Mexico are sent back to their native country with their American born children in tow.

1. Ken says:

They did mention her name Aida Alamillo & her name sounds Filipino. If she’s
      on the PAL flight she’s either visiting relatives or she’s a new arrival. Don’t
      worry I am sure she’s got either US Passport or necessary papers to enter the
      Why is this now becoming racist comments? Does it matter if she’s another
      race other than white?
      @Bonnie…what exactly are you trying to say when you said: Great another one,
      we just keep letting it happen? Asians support their family by working & not
      through Welfare.

1. BC says:

Amen to that Ken. My dad’s wife is fillipino but they have no problem bringing her mother here to visit. So I don’t know……..

2. Dina says:

Precisely…but more importantly given that the baby was born in MID air, the child;s birth city is the city of departure NOT landing. International airspace is deemed to be that of the originating city. Even when you land at the airport on US soil you are still in the no-man’s zone until you exit immigration/customs. In other words you are still in your country of origina until your passport is stamped or you are given clearance to exit into the USA. It is the same around the world. Believe it or not, as I understand it, when you check in to the airport and waiting to board your flight to another country you are deemed to be in no-mans land and at your desitinatoin….most strange but that is how I understand it

3. guest says:

Sorry we have all seen the stories of the abuses of American laws that occur by people having their babies in the US and then having the audacity to claim they are US citizens. Thus the negative tenor to the comments.

3. Diana says:

Bonnie/Steve: Aparently, you have such a biased mentality that your perception is negative, and quite frankly: outlandish. This woman gave birth, and just because she is Filipino, that does not mean her intention was malice. Why dont research the facts first, before your mouth becomes dirty. In addition, it is a general policy to not board pregnant woman on a plane when she is in a specific month. Don’t you not think this could have been a premature baby or any health reasoning? It is you both that encourages ignorance in the United States.. and yes, unfortunately; people like you ‘just keeps happening’.

1. Anthony says:

Why do they make these comments? As a journalist, the article was pathetic. Why was she coming here? Is she a citizen? Where is the husband? These sort of questions answered would have averted much criticism, or created more…what do you think the situation was? A pathetic article and people have the right to ask questions.

2. Froda D. Boquilon says:

It’s not the woman’s issue for her giving birth on the plane….It’s the airlines issue for letting her flew!!! Just making it clear cause I also gave birth on the plane 13 years ago!!! People will give negative comments no matter what, but BEST thing to do is listen to people who experienced it!!!

1. JLMoon says:

of course it is her “issue”, it’s not the responsibility of the crew to know how far along a woman is pregnant.. i’m pregnant and know that I should not be flying after a certain amount of weeks because of the risk of going into labor… Unless the kid was way premature, my guess is she knew what she was doing.

2. Pat says:

Although we don’t have the details, something tells me that she indeed knew what she was doing. It’s well known that pregnant women shouldn’t be travelling by plane after a certain number of weeks. I ll give her the benefit of the doubt but come on..

4. David says:

Oh god, Why was she allowed on the plane?? Why would she herself fly when in her advanced pregnancy and yes, she probably is quite disappointed the baby wasn’t born on US soil…

5. Susie says:

I wonder if the baby is considered to be born in the Phillipines or the US?

1. chuck says:

Nope, must be on US soil, airspace doesnt count,.

1. turd says:

If in international airspace, then the flag of the aircraft would be the jurisdiction and thus a Filipino… If in US airspace, then it would be a US citizen…

6. armand says:

Wonders if the airline will charge for the extra ticket

1. jerrystr says:

No charge for babies under 2 years. Standard on almost all airlines.

7. bz says:

“The story didn’t even mention the woman’s nationality. Did you ever think that she could have been an American?”

Stop making sense!!! You should know better.

1. Scott says:

Thank you for showing that not everyone who comments on this story is a mindless bigot.

8. Claire says:

I believe it makes it a fish.

1. caretaker says:

Yes….A flying Fish..

9. Sofa Kingdom says:

The airline never should have allowed the mother to board in Manila. She obviously lied about the stage of pregnancy, or did not appear pregnant at all. I worked for this airline before.

This baby will get free tickets for life from the airline. Many of them DO try to time it correctly.

1. , says:

so go tell the airline management/CEO instead of posting it here ok.

2. Scott says:

Where in the article does it say she boarded in Manila? For that matter, where does it say she is Filipino? The article does not say what airline she was flying. If you are going to tell lies, at least research the story. You are a DIMWIT.

1. Chris says:

Lean how to read Scott – It was a Philippine Airlines flight flying from the Philippines to San Francisco. I don’t believe they fly internationally from any other cities in the Philippines other than Manila.
        The only part you have correct is that her nationality was not mentioned, although they do have her name.
        Best not to insult others when you may be the one who’s the “DIMWIT”.

10. Ricardo Hartley says:

Women who are THAT pregnant are not supposed to fly – Attention CPS.

11. . says:

hey you another stupid person. get some facts first before you judge her. u hypocrite.

12. . says:

1. Los Stupid says:

No hatred is good, get it out of your system

13. Rene says:

I cannot believe that there’s still
    bunch of idiotic ignorant people now a days!!!
    How sure of you, you MORONs!! that the woman is illegal ?

1. Scott says:

Thank you Rene for seeing what the ignorant people refuse to see.

14. Scott says:

Listen up stupid. You can’t fly into the United states from the Philippines unless you have a visa. The article only says she was flying from the Philippines to San Francisco, It does not say she is Filipino. My wife is from the Philippines, and she is here legally. I have known people like you before. You are so full of misguided hate that you don’t think about what you are saying. While you are patting yourself on the back for your ignorant comment, those of us who read it know you are just some half whit NAZI with identity issues.

1. anthony says:

Scott, as more information comes out we will all get an education. Need a VISA or passport. Send me $400 and I will throw in a social security card.

1. Scott says:

Anthony, you are confusing real life with a movie you saw.

2. dead_than_red says:

You’re never going to get thru to any of these folks. They have their own reality.

They aren’t anything more then a bunch of ignorant, inbred, uneducated, hillbilly morons.. Products of the GOP’s eugenics program to dumb-down America so that most of them will be too busy arguing about anchor babies and open carry to notice that they’ve given away everything to their corporate overlords.

2. Pinay says:

She is Filipino and so is her husband. They were petitioned to come to the US. I know this because I know the woman’s sister.

1. Tukmol Kayo says:

Of course she has a legal entry. Why do these ignorant comments here thinks that the USCIC are too dumb to let a pregnant woman in her late trimester enter the US soil??? It is either they allowed her so that she can give birth here since her family already have legal permanent residency. To avoid trrouble on the newborn’s birth cert. they have to do it immediately.

3. paul says:

Your ‘Nazi” comments are older than my grandma. Why would a pregnant woman with U.S. ciitizenship leave the country while pregnant, then return late in the pregnancy?

Whether this situation is an an ‘anchor baby’ deal or not, it is happening on an industrial scale now. I have right to be angry, and I don’t care if it displeases you!

4. Mari says:

Should have married a white woman, Scott… you the one stupid!

15. MW says:

WOW !! This means when the UN-INVITED Mayflower ship arrived here in America and babies that are born here since then are a bunch of ACHOR babies too , right ?

16. jake says:

The biggest export from The Philippines is Filipinos. Ask any Filipino and they’ll tell you the same thing with a laugh. Any where is the work opportunity you’ll find Filipinos (Dubai, England, the U.S., Nigeria, etc..) They work hard to improve their lives.

1. cool says:

how about you? Every where there is a american, british or spanish descent people everywhere working all over the globe.. where are you a chinese or indian working in the moon? stop judging people look at yourself first..everybody have a brain, deadmeat.

1. Jake says:

I think you missed the meaning of my comment completely – I was complimenting the Filipino people who work the globe to find work. I wished everyone worked so hard.

2. EllenCFE says:

Jake, I am a Filipino and have been in this country since 1976. During my time, coming to this country as a professional was a lot easier. The Filipinos are all over the world because we speak English. The American schools are hiring Filipino teachers to teach Math and Science. And, have you noticed all the Filipino registered nurses working in the hospitals? The Filipinos have the education, the experienced, the knowledge of what is needed in some other countries. Also, we pride in our work. I am an accounting professional. I obtained my education in the Philippines and in this country. I am an American citizen, yet, I always remember my roots in the Philippines.

1. Maria G Smith says:

well said Ellen.I just don’t understand that the conversation now is almost criticizing the woman who gave birth without knowing the whole story. Along with some people who commented with malice and prejudice…This country is a melting pot,a lot of races lives here and as long as we are working hard and honestly it actually better the lives of everyone.Amidst the hard economy,i think Filipinos has a way of working hard and feeding ourselves without asking for food stamps.

17. Father of twins says:

Oh lord. Shallow people coming to conclusion so easily. She could an american citizen. How do you even know if the baby was full term or a premature delivery?
    What if this happens to your wife or your sister or someone you know who gives birth to a baby while entering another country!!

1. Bjorn14 says:

She knew her due date….September 28th. But Francis didn’t cooperate.

2. rodgestone says:

the mother was a nurse who fly to join the nurses union strike in Kaiser and Sutter Meds which happened Sept 19-20…

18. shay says:

right on the . . anyways yah shut up bonnie! you dont make any sense

19. MW says:

It takes one to know one. All american born babies that are not NATIVE are a bunch of ANCHOR illegall immigrants. LOL !!! A buch of idiots !!

1. i dietrich says:

Then, basically only those that live in indian reservations are not a bunch of idiots since they are the ONLY native ones.

1. Sheng says:

I totally agree with you. Seems like there’s an ample number of senseless people out here who are more racist and judgmental.

2. MW says:

OH… I WAS BEING SARCASTIC BY THE WAY. I am not a native but the comments of those that are critical of a baby and the mother are un-called for especially when you don’t know the whole story. I am just glad the Mother and baby are allright. So, ” diettrich” are you a NAZI ? Just asking, i am not calling you a nazi OR anyone else. LOL !!! A ” new life ” is a gift no matter what race and where she or he’s born. STOP BEING SUCH A __________ fill in the blank.

20. One born outside the US says:

Well, good thing it was NOT a US airline, otherwise the child would have been born in US territory. He remains Filipino.

21. Dixie Normis says:

Why all the Filipino hate? They helped us fight in WW2 and are our Allies. Racism is alive and well in the usa, land of the stupid, scared and selfish.

1. Scott says:

Please don’t label all Americans according to the stupidity of some Americans. I love the Filipino people, especially my wife.

1. MW says:

AWWWW…., that is so sweet Scott ! I’m happy for you.

2. Corazon Aquino says:

looks like someone has a anchor baby.

2. Stacey says:

Anti-Americanism is alive and well in the Philippines. I’ve seen it first hand.

When things in the far western Pacific were looking calm and relatively peaceful, they were more than happy to ask us (US forces) to leave Clark Air Field and Subek Bay Naval Base, but as I understand it now, in the last years or so as China has become a naval force with eyes toward expanding and exercising its dominance in those waters, the Filipinos are suddenly warming to the US again. This appears to be the worst kind of fair weather friendship to me. We don’t need or want you when times are good, but as soon as we have a use for you then out comes the great Filipino-American friendship and cooperation over the decades. Yeah right!

1. ef says:

yeah right…do you really wanted to go that route? do you REALLY think american will get the raw end of the deal in situations like these? Stop your non-sense. While American do help other countries, they will get ten folds in return ! I dont even have to specify this to you…do you research moron !

2. MW says:

Stacey, i understand and agree on the attitude about wanting USA friendship in thier time of need, but most of this people do not know the agreement between thier Government and our Government and often thier Government lie to them especially the amount of money involved and always the picture painted Americans as invaders. Another issue in regards to American haters, they are not just in the Phillipines, they are in so many different countries, I’m a traveler, i know this for a fact. There is so much LOVE and HATE towards Americans because of FREEDOM and the AMERICAN DREAM we enjoy, but mostly HATE because they see Americans as arrogant and wasteful. That’ is how WE… AMERICANS ARE SEEN IN THE EYES OF AN OUTSIDERS. That is why i behave especially when i’m in someone else country for them to see we are not all like that. I AM A PROUD AMERICAN.

3. Daniel Newton says:

Agree, AND USA is a land of monkeys and monkey owners and idiots who cannot even PROPERLY pronounce the word, “tortilla!!!”

1. funbags says:

22. Chuck says:

If she was looking for an anchor baby she missed the boat, babies born on a plane in us airspace do not get to stay they are not citizens. They have to be born on the ground.

23. Pat Mcgroyne says:

I wonder what the extra baggage fee is for an anchor baby…

24. wanker says:

caretaker their is no such thing as a flying fish if it walks they eat it if it flies they eat it if it swims they eat it thats all these plips plips do is eat eat eat. oh yes and give mirth to babiies in america so they can have an anchor baby. well at least honda will be happy they all like todrive gold hondas

25. George Busch says:

Dear msfaye2u,

Do you even know what you are msfaye2u? You probably don’t even know what your nationality is, huh? You probably don’t even know who your mother and father is, which makes you upset at the whole world and write this ignorant comment for us Americans to realize that people like you in this world don’t deserve the freedom and the prosperity of living the American dream. You’re part of the breed that continues to create perceptions of how some Americans can be so STUPID!! Msfaye2u, please find a spouse or partner so that you can feel a sense of love and acceptance. I believe you have too much time on your hands to be writing stupid comments. Get a life! If you were in front of my face I’ll slap the $4it!@!! out of you to wake you up and make you realize that your living in a world that actually have different colors.

1. Adam Young says:

If she is not a citizen of the USA then the baby is not one to nor deserves to be one.

26. Scott says:

So many idiots with one track minds. The article does not mention her nationality, it only says she was flying from the Philippines. When I flew home from the Philippines, I saw several Caucasian women. If she is an immigrant, she can’t come to the United States without a sponsor. The sponsor is obligated to support the immigrant. If the immigrant receives welfare, the sponsor is obligated to pay the money back to the government. You should be jailed for your stupidity. I don’t have anything against hillbillies, but you are one ignorant hick.

27. Brook Perkins says:

Just so you idiots know, a Filipino can not come to America Illegally. Especially since she was on an AIRPLANE. She would have to get a VISA to come here way in advance. More than likely if she is Filipino she is married to someone in the states and filled out a spousal Visa a year before.

This talk about an anchor baby is pointless as well because more than likely she was already has a permanent residence. If the Father is America the kid automatically has citizenship so it is not like she was trying to give birth on U.S soil. She got her Visa and didn’t delay because her trip to the U.S would have been postponed for another year or so.

This is assuming she is even filipino

1. Scott says:

That is exactly what I have been trying to tell these backwards idiots. My wife and I went through the spousal visa process 2 years ago, so I know what you are saying is true. The idiots who spout hatred probably didn’t finish the 9th grade.

1. Stacy says:

Dude enough already about your filipino wife. You’re not helping with the cause. Your point of view appears to be biased because you’re just another one of these dudes who sent away for the filipino mail-order bride. Keep that part on the down low.

28. MW says:

beth, the only money that comes out of your pocket is the money you buy your drugs , you have got to be high on something or just plain prejudice and stupid. GO, GO …. join your people in Tennessee, read something and get smart before you come out of your cage. Your kind is what makes good American people sound and looks disgusting and shamefull. Until you learn more about the many cultures that America is made of, stay in your cage. SHAME ON YOU !

1. beth says:

MW, we went too far in this multiculture bit. I don’t take drugs. . You know nothing about me. I don’t live in a cage. I know that America is in trouble and it is caused by people like you. I could say alot about you and your liberism. Take care of America first or get out.. I don’t live in Tennessee either or Kentucky but I feel for the Ameriican kids there. What’s the matter, those kids not good enough for you.

1. paul says:

I agree with Beth.

2. MW says:

Beth, i agree that we went to far in this multiculture topic and you are right, i know nothing about you and the same goes, YOU and I know nothing about the mother and baby , that is why to pass judgement from the short article you read is un- called for. I agree with you that we must take care of America first and that is why WE must vote the right politician in office who could not be bought by Companies that take thier jobs overseas. If our American people have jobs here in America there will be no need for the people you mentioned to need help. I know the people you talked about are hard working proud people and it’s good to know there’s people like you that cares about their situation. BUT, let’s not be critical of others un- expected situation iether. My comment was meant to make you feel what it’s like when someone else be judgemental of you also, especially when there’s an innocent lives involved. I see that you did’nt take that too well. I believe you, you cannot be a drug addict to have the compassion that you have for others. I was just making a point. I celebrate life especially the new born, it’s a gift, no matter what race they are. Take care.

3. MW says:

By the way Beth, STOP HATING SO MUCH.. you cannot fix anything with hate. I feel as you do too but i take time to make people smile and celebrate life. NO… i’m not a hippie or into drugs, any kind of tabacco and alcohol, we just need to be nice to one another. Besides, laughter is good for the heart. YES, my family and i do serve the American people by keeping American people safe not just in US land but in other countries too in the front line. SO, i know about serving your country, my whole family and i do.

4. Maal Member says:

Beth for President!

29. Patrick says:

Even women with complication-free pregnancies are not to fly in the last trimester.

30. Jack says:

Be cleaning that plane for days

31. Winny says:

There are rules for how a birth aboard a plane is handled. No reason for all the speculation.

32. Buford says:

I’ve been told by Chinese friends that pregnant women fly into the United States to give birth to their baby so it’s a US citizen. It’s something that all of Asia does and it’s supposed to be stopped.

1. paul says:

You are correct. It has become a huge industry. Hotels that cater to Turkish pregnant women in New York, chinese websites espousing the benefits of having a U.S. citizen baby, etc. Other countries don’t have free education, social benefits, etc. Anyone thinking ‘anchor babies’ has opened their eyes to the current state of affairs.

33. G Busch says:

Hey Stacy,

Have you ever heard of the ASEAN organization. Countries that are part of the ASEAN organization are allies of the Philippines.

Imagine if a war broke out between China and US. I won’t predict which country would be victorious of such war, but I can imagine and can certainly guarantee that A LOT of lives would be lost, maybe even yours.

34. Marty says:

she should not have been flying. The Airlines are not supposed to let someone that far along to fly because to do so imposes a grave risk to both mother and child, not from just the possibility of the child giving birth in flight as happened, but because of other risks inherent in flying in a pressurized cabin, especially in a flight across the Pacific.

As to the nationality of the child, according to US and international law the plane is in the jurisdiction of the point of departure up to, and until the cabin door is opened. So in this case even if the plane was that of a US AIrline the child’s nationality is the same as it would be as if born in a hospital in Manila.

35. Jack says:

MYOB = Mind Your Own Business

36. cherrie says:

A lot of people making flash judgements without facts. How far along was the pregnacy? Was the baby premature? Is mom or dad a US citizen? Whatever happened to “innocent till proven guilty”? I am just glad mom and baby are doing well.

37. FJ says:

In China this is a business. Bring your pregnant spouse to the US and have her give birth in the US for the child to have US citizenship.

38. David Hazi says:

I’ve made that flight before, but really glad I wasn’t on board for a 16 hour flight with a screaming mother and baby.

39. Diana says:

Wow, very sad to read these comments. We should be congratulating this woman for giving birth instead of making accusations, and or negative comments. There are a lot of mindless, ignorant people in this world, and unfortunately; there are many in the United States. It is sad for me to know that the innocence in people are slowly corrupting..

40. USlass1 says:

Stupid woman flying during advanced pregnancy !

41. Marina says:

What? Why are some people here so judgemental? You sound so ignorant and stupid. The article didnt even mention her nationality. JUst because the woman’s name does not sound like caucasian eh youre judging her as an illegal immigrant who is here only in the US to accept welfare and US citizenship for her child? Youre so ignorant. San Francisco’s mayors name is not a caucasian but hes an American! A lot of Filipino live in the Bay Area and a lot of them are American citizens and Green Card holders. Many of them are nurses making a lot of money, paying a lot of taxes. So most probably, Aida Alamillo is an american citizen herself or a green card holder. So people, before judging and trashing people, know the facts first.

1. Wes says:

You go girl Tell em like it iZ

42. EB says:

curious whether the mother will tell him that he was on born a flight and what will they put on his birth certificate? cute if it hit the papers

43. Jose Rizal says:

Maybe the woman who gave birth is a naturalized U.S. citizen or even someone who was actually born here in the U.S.?

44. mswl says:

It is completely possible that she is an American citizen. Maybe she had a family emergency she had to tend to in the Philipines and was on her way back home in the US. While the anchor baby stories do happen, it doesn’t mean every one with an Asian sounding name is not here legally.

45. ted says:

@Chuck, I totally agree with you, one of the nurses I use to work with was approached by a distant relative to bring her to the US to have her baby so therefore in the future because of the baby being born in the US she would be able to get her papers, Do not give me the BS that Philipinos do not enter the country illegally, they come to the US with a visa and they never go back, waiting for a target US citizen to marry. My neighbor a philipina is illegal and she has three girls born in the US, Guess who supports them the Social Security System because they were born in the US.
    Same as any other immigrants..

46. gail says:

Sad to see so many racist comments here. Take what happened to me. I am Filipino, American born and raised. I went to both undergrad and med school here in the U.S. A mideastern women approaches me in a store and says “Are you Filipino?” Thinking she’d say something friendly I said yes. Then she says “because I’m looking for a Filipino to clean my house, but not you… you wouldn’t be good enough.” I maintained my dignity and said “ok” and moved on. The funny thing is, she was the one with an accent (and presumably a foreigner).

47. Ar By says:

If she’s 9 months preganant, why is she flying?

48. JDAWG says:

They charged to woman for an extra occupant after the baby was born. Long live CAPITALISM!

49. Person of Interest says:

What ever happen to the ?”International”? flight regulation/rule/law that prohibited anyone who is ill and/or women who are more than 7-8 months along from boarding international flights???? Mainly due to the long flight times involved. Have lived in the Philippines for ten years so I know PAL does NOT always adhere to the regulations. It’s part of their Filipino culture; to go easy on the rules.

50. Julia Yount-Sledge says:

I wonder if she was forced to buy a ticket for her new arrival🙂 They charge us customers for everything else these days!

51. Person of Interest says:

52. mc hammer says:

I’d name that kid Baraack, you know that kid was born over Hawaii !!

53. zhang says:

You are not allowed to fly after six months along. So my guess is that she was not honest about her pregancy, So my giuess is she was selfish in trying to get a US citizenship. People are not concerned about the health of the child- this happens way to much- pregnant women rushing, and lying to come to the USA to have their children here when they are in the last 3 months which is against the air line rules to fly- the USA has to act like other smarter places and NOT give US citizenship just because you were born here when your parents are not US citizens

54. joseph entrada says:

is the pilot the father?

1. MW says:

HAHAHAHA !!! THAT’S FUNNY ! This is a wonderful story, there’s no need to get all uptight. Thanks for the funny joseph !

55. Steve says:

i bet she was on her way to the US to delivery the baby. i’m glad the baby and momn are ok, and every happier that the baby will not have US citizenship.

56. James says:

I only wonder how she got onto the flight. PAL does have a policy concerning pregnant women on trans-continental flights.
    On the other hand – congratulations to the mother for a successful birth!

57. Sher says:

how far along was she in her pregnancy……I wasn’t allowed to fly once I reached 7 months – just curious

58. Rob says:

She was hoping for an Anchor Baby, plain and simple. She just got the timing of the birth wrong. This happens alot internationally, Chinese women come to america weeks/days before they deliver for this very thing. Read up on it, you might be surprised how often this happens. The Chinese women wear big clothes to hide the belly and then they give birth to get an Americam birth certificate which can be later used to come to America 18-30 years later.

59. petepete3161 says:

According to the CBS news report, she was flying to America, her first time, to be with her husband who lives in Boston with her three other children. How her husband got here, if he is legal, why the children are here without their mother was not explained. And I don’t know if CBS news bothered to verify any of this information. I doubt it. The woman is in a protected class – non- white, immigrant, sad story, etc. Anyway, good to know that the baby boy is healthy – no matter what.

60. OMPH says:

Peope are so judgemental! When the real judgement day comes, God will never ask if you are filipino, mexican, italian, chinese, white, black or whatsoever….WE ARE ONE! Can we all just be happy that the Mom and Baby are fine? Stop worrying about AIRFARE, VISA, PASSPORT, CITIZENSHIP…etc…let’s not waste time judging people, do something productive!

61. bigdaddyoldman says:

thats all the hell we need
    another one we cant get rid of

62. Los Stupid says:

Oh dam, she just did not make it in time to have a legal citizen, sorry NO US birth cert we will have to return you and child back to Philippines

63. Filipino by Heart says:

64. mark says:

my wife came from the Philippines when she was a few days under 7 months, they would not let her fly if she was over 7 months and she had to have a letter from the doctor to prove it, then the us embassy had to approve it. so I’m guessing it was a early baby.

65. Oscar says:

She may have delivered the baby early, glad both are fine.

66. Shlumgullya says:

Someday, that kid will ask his mother, “Where was I born?”, and his mother will just look up, and point to the sky. This kid will always have a story to tell. Best wishes to all !

67. baklita says:

the discussion seems endless. buy… este by the time this forum ends… the baby boy is totally grown up… able to speak coherently and is living life independently. life is moging on daily.

68. lenie says:

Anybody here watch TLC “I don’t know I was pregnant”?
    I just cant imagine flying that long hours and being 35 weeks pregnant!

69. Victor says:

This brings me back memories. I believe my mom never had the same experience as that Filipino woman whom I heard about on cbssf.com. I was born In a San Francisco hospital in 1991 from her, a legal Chinese immigrant, who was living in Oakland with my dad, also a legal Chinese immigrant, at that time before my sister was born and we and my dad had moved to San Leandro.

70. ronin says:

The lady is Filipino and is a new Green Card holder petitioned by her US Citizen mother. Her newborn son is covered through her green card since he is under 18 years old.

Please research information first before commenting. This is why we have the internet. It’s a very useful thing!

71. Person of Interest says:

She would NOT have been able to get on the plane without proper paperwork. But as far as being nine months along the US Embassy most likely would not have allowed her entry, unless she already had a “green” card (which is really pink) and she was already legally allowed to exit and reenter as she like. The question should be – was it safe to travel with a nine month baby inside her??? The law/rule/regulation says NO. Health concerns on a long flight. But the baby is now healthy and safe. It was plain and simply a stupid move on the mother’s behalf to risk the health of the baby and herself to do that long flight. Doctors in the Philippines can be paid to say anything you want them to say. I know from living there for ten years. She lucked out with that birth as far as health issues goes. Good luck to both.

72. Dads says:

She could have a Permanent Resident status stamped in her visa. Maybe her father is a US Citizen and petitioned her and her immediate family to come legally to the United States.

73. John Hitts says:

Admits she had planned on purposely having her baby (4th one) in the US to gain citizenship for the baby. She should be arrested for endangering herself and her baby. Baby was born 4 hours out in International Waters now she’s claiming the baby was born in American so she can claim Social Security. Watch the video http://standwitharizona.com/blog/2011/09/22/airborne-anchor-baby-shows-folly-of-birthright-citizenship/

74. Person of Interest says:

The Fourteen Amendment reads in FULL:

“Amendment 14 – Citizenship Rights

1. All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

2. Representatives shall be apportioned among the several States according to their respective numbers, counting the whole number of persons in each State, excluding Indians not taxed. But when the right to vote at any election for the choice of electors for President and Vice-President of the United States, Representatives in Congress, the Executive and Judicial officers of a State, or the members of the Legislature thereof, is denied to any of the male inhabitants of such State, being twenty-one years of age, and citizens of the United States, or in any way abridged, except for participation in rebellion, or other crime, the basis of representation therein shall be reduced in the proportion which the number of such male citizens shall bear to the whole number of male citizens twenty-one years of age in such State.

3. No person shall be a Senator or Representative in Congress, or elector of President and Vice-President, or hold any office, civil or military, under the United States, or under any State, who, having previously taken an oath, as a member of Congress, or as an officer of the United States, or as a member of any State legislature, or as an executive or judicial officer of any State, to support the Constitution of the United States, shall have engaged in insurrection or rebellion against the same, or given aid or comfort to the enemies thereof. But Congress may by a vote of two-thirds of each House, remove such disability.

4. The validity of the public debt of the United States, authorized by law, including debts incurred for payment of pensions and bounties for services in suppressing insurrection or rebellion, shall not be questioned. But neither the United States nor any State shall assume or pay any debt or obligation incurred in aid of insurrection or rebellion against the United States, or any claim for the loss or emancipation of any slave; but all such debts, obligations and claims shall be held illegal and void.

5. The Congress shall have power to enforce, by appropriate legislation, the provisions of this article.”

NO where is Senator Jacob Howard (of 1866) comments part of the Fourteen Amendment! Therefore, there is NO legal way, currently, to bar anyone who has come come here from having their baby and claiming US Citizenship for the baby.

Read your constitution for yourself from the U.S. Constitution and not the interpretation of someone else of the U.S. Constitution.

Furthermore, since a foreign based U.S. Embassy is considered American soil regardless of where it is, anyone who gives birth inside or on the grounds of the U.S. Embassy could, in theory, have a case for claiming U.S. Citizenship for the baby. Think about that one…

75. Dan says:

CBS, your reporting on this sucks! She was not coming to visit her sick dad, you idiots!! Your mental illness called liberalism is sickening to me!!

76. KipInTuch says:

I hate to say it but this lady knows exactly what she’s doing, to have an “anchor baby.” She is well-awared of her due date and decide to get on the plane and go for a long flight to the US. In my opinion, because she gave birth on the plane that operates by the Philippines airline and still in the air, the baby is not considered as American born.. Period.

77. Dan says:

She is not an American citizen you idiot liberal morons!! Stop making excuses for tird worlders coming here illegally!! I did some home work before I spouted off, and I suggest you and this piece of dung so called news paper do their home work too!!