FORT BRAGG (CBS/AP) — Authorities say they have killed the suspect in two fatal shootings that sparked a massive manhunt in the redwood forests of Northern California.
Aaron Bassler was shot and killed Saturday.
Deputy Ron Parsons of the Sacramento County Sheriff’s Department says the 35-year-old “is deceased.” Parsons says his agency was involved in the shooting, which happened around mid-day.
Bassler was wanted in the killings of a Fort Bragg councilman on August 27 and another man. Dozens of local and federal authorities have been searching in the redwood forests near Fort Bragg, putting the residents of the coastal town on edge.
The men who were shot had been separately investigating reports of an illegal marijuana farm outside of town when they confronted Bassler.
(Copyright 2011 by CBS San Francisco. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)