Cigarette Blamed For Fire Injuring Elderly Antioch Man

ANTIOCH (CBS SF) – A 73-year-old man was critically injured in an apartment fire in Antioch early Friday morning, Contra Costa County Fire Protection District officials said.

The two-alarm fire was reported at 12:37 a.m. at an apartment in the 200 block of Robert Street, a fire dispatcher said.

Firefighters rescued the man, who accidentally sparked the fire when he discarded a cigarette into a paper wastebasket next to a chair he then fallen asleep in, Fire Marshal Lewis Broschard said.

The victim was taken to a hospital to be treated for injuries that were considered life-threatening as of this morning, Broschard said.

The blaze was eventually extinguished at 1:08 a.m., the dispatcher said.

Broschard said the fire caused an estimated $30,000 in damage to the apartment.

(Copyright 2011 by CBS SF. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS San Francisco

Get The New CBS SF Bay Area Local App
Got Our Weather App?

Listen Live