SOUTH SAN FRANCISCO (CBS/AP) – A 67-year-old man who has spent four decades as a fugitive is preparing to turn himself into South San Francisco police to face charges for opening fire on two South San Francisco police officers in 1968.
An attorney for Ronald Stanley Bridgeforth said that this client intends to surrender to authorities on Thursday and to plead guilty to assault with a deadly weapon. But Bridgeforth plans to fight charges that have been pending against him in the 1971 slaying of a San Francisco police officer, according to his lawyer, Paul Harris.
KCBS’ Bob Melrose Reports:
A warrant has been pending against Bridgeforth since 2007 in the death of Sgt. John Young, who was shot through bulletproof glass when nine members of the Black Liberation Army stormed the San Francisco Police Ingleside station.
He was arrested, and faced five to 15 years in prison, but jumped $50,000 bail, and has been on the lam ever since.
Harris says his client is married with grown sons and until last week worked counseling students at an undisclosed college.
(Copyright 2011 by CBS San Francisco. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)