Fatal Plunge From Pleasanton Highway Overpass Blocks 580 Traffic

PLEASANTON (CBS SF) – A person died after jumping from an overpass onto westbound Interstate Highway 580 in Pleasanton Thursday morning, a California Highway Patrol spokesman said.

The incident was reported at 6:07 a.m. at the Santa Rita Road overcrossing, CHP Officer Steve Creel said.

The CHP closed three lanes of westbound I-580 while emergency crews responded to the scene.

The Alameda County coroner’s bureau was on the scene and Creel expected the roadway to be cleared by 7:45 a.m.

“We want to warn people that because of the extensive backup, it’s going to take quite a while for that to clear up,” he said.

Check KCBS Traffic Conditions

(Copyright 2011 by CBS San Francisco. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)

Comments

1. Marissa says:

I am so overcome with sadness when I heard abt. the news of a person died after jumping from an overpass in highway 580 Pleasanton this morning. I don’t know what his/her situation was that lead him/her to do this. That he/she thinks this is the solution to the problem. I was in a situation where I thought that I don’t matter whether I am here or gone but my friends and family didn’t give up on me and I am in a better place now in my life with new life and wonderful husband and family that makes my life worth living. I am sorry for his/her family and praying that they will find peace and help in this time of sorrow.

2. Mark says:

Selfish jerk. The police don’t need to treat this like a crime scene and inconvenience tens of thousands of commuters. Move the corpse to the shoulder and let the rest of us get on with the business of living.

1. Marissa says:

I can understand your frustration, calm down and be safe. I hope that no one in your family or close friends will go through the same situation as that person that take his/her life. I am not gonna judge you, you and I have our own opinion, and I respect that.

2. tn says:

Mark: Did the traffic come to a dead stop? Really, Marissa is right and you have a right to what you think too. Just try to be nice and show some compassion. It’ll come back twofold and make your life even better than it already is (for everyone).

3. Kim says:

I was stuck in that traffic or should I say parking lot for 1 1/2 hrs. and I saw the man lying in the middle of the freeway.

4. Ted says:

To Marissa, this was a 23 year old man from Fremont. This “boy” is half my age and deeply saddened by the news. On the same token, I can relate to Mark’s comment because there is many other ways to commit suicide. Why cause havoc for thousands of commuters; not to mention, traumatize those who was actually involved in the death of this young man. God only knows what this young man was thinking before he jumped.

5. Rook says:

Why cant he just be considerate and use the golden gate bridge.