Local

Dropped Cigarette Thought To Be Cause Of SF Tenderloin Apartment Fire

View Comments
Tenderloin Apartment Fire

An apartment fire injured two in San Francisco’s Tenderloin neighborhood early Sunday. (CBS)

SAN FRANCISCO (CBS SF) — A fire in a 6-storey apartment building that injured one resident and a firefighter in San Francisco Sunday morning was probably caused by a cigarette dropped into a lightwell, fire officials said.

The fire at 347 Eddy Street, first reported around 8 a.m., began in a lightwell when some collected debris caught fire, said Assistant Fire Chief Bob Postel.

The fire traveled up the lightwell rapidly, eventually spreading to all six floors of the building, Postel said.

The flames remained largely contained to the lightwell and some surrounding void space, and did not extend into the attic or living spaces, Postel said. However, firefighters struggled to gain access to the area and had to open up the walls in seven units to completely extinguish the flames.

KCBS’ Tim Ryan Reports:

“We were there about four hours,” Postel said. “It was a stubborn fire with a lot of work, very labor intensive, just because of the location.”

One resident was taken to the hospital for treatment of minor smoke inhalation, and one firefighter received unknown minor injuries.

All residents of the building were evacuated because the water and power were shut off. Most residents will probably be able to return Monday, but those in the seven units that sustained the most damage will probably be displaced longer, Postel said.

Investigators found smoking materials in the area where the fire started, and Postel said the likely cause was a resident dropping a lighted cigarette down the lightwell.

Structural damage is estimated at around $250,000.

(Copyright 2011 by CBS San Francisco. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed)

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 55,765 other followers