VACAVILLE (CBS SF) – A fire in a house that killed a Vacaville woman Monday was unintentional and most likely caused by a lit cigarette, Vacaville police said.

“It was a tragic accident,” Vacaville police Sgt. Jeff King said Tuesday afternoon.

The blaze was reported at the home at 136 Gentry Circle at around 10:30 a.m. Monday, police said.

Responding firefighters and police found smoke coming from the upstairs master bedroom.

Firefighters quickly extinguished the fire and found 52-year-old Bobbie Mitchell in the master bedroom.

Mitchell was carried out of the home where paramedics began life-saving efforts, but she was pronounced dead at the scene. The cause of her death is pending toxicology tests, King said.

Police said Mitchell lived at the home with her husband, who was at work when the fire broke out.

A deceased dog was also found in the master bedroom. Another dog was found alive in the home and was returned to family members.

The fire caused an estimated $70,000 in damage.

As the fire appears to not be criminal in nature, police said they are set to close the case once results from forensic tests are completed.


(Copyright 2012 by CBS San Francisco and Bay City News Service. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)



Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

Watch & Listen LIVE