60’s Drug And Sex Columnist ‘Dr. Hip’ Expecting Child At 77

SAN FRANCISCO (CBS SF) – A Bay Area man best known for his hippie era advice columns is making news by becoming a dad at 77-years-old.

Eugene Schoenfeld wrote the Hip Pocrates column in the 60s and 70s. ‘Dr. Hip’ doled out advice on sex and drugs in hundreds of newspapers around the country. He’s also credited by some with having the first ever call-in medical show on the radio.

He’s 77-years-old now, and still working as a psychiatrist. He’s also about to become a dad again.

KCBS’ Mike Sugerman Reports:

“I’m very happy and looking forward to having this child,” he declared.

He and his 28-year-old wife Lonie are expecting a child in May. They think it’s a girl.

She and Dr. Hip married 5 years ago and tried to conceive, but were unsuccessful. Doctors told them she would be unable to do so after undergoing medical intervention without luck – including attempts at in-vitro.

“I don’t know what happened,” said Lonie. “I’m very happy.”

Dr. Hip already has one child, a 40- year-old son.

(Copyright 2012 by CBS San Francisco. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)

Comments

1. Todd Clemmer says:

The 60’s were the beginning of the end.

2. Gilda Vincent says:

How responsible of him. His 18 year old daughter can change his Depends.

3. ablecynic says:

His daughter will never know him. But his wife is young and will remarry and the new guy can raise the daughter.

4. Dissector says:

His wife will be changing two sets of diapers.

5. george says:

“Hey,” said the 40+ year old man, for perhaps the fiftieth time, “quit calling me your dad. I’m your big brother!”

6. sean patriot says:

What in incredibly insensitive, inhuman, callous, selfish thing to do. Poor child.

7. Occupy This! says:

Perfect example of the irresponsible sixties.

8. Choice says:

I am so glad I don’t know the man or anything about him other than this news article. YUCK

1. Choice says:

Maybe I should make my feelings a bit clearer. I am tolerant of lots of things but .,, He is just to extreme and to hip for me.

9. freecheese says:

I’m 64-yrs old. I was able to share the love and health of watching my children grow up and graduate, and we had many years of fun: softball, baseball, foot ball and all other family events.
    They all went on to successful careers and provided me with beautiful grand children.
    This guy will NEVER be able to say the same.
    I would guess his wife is just another Gold digger. How secure her life is.

10. freecheese says:

Gotta’ love these “Old Hippies” from the Left Coast. Now she has her “Anchor Baby” to his fortune!
    What are the chances that the baby REALLY isn’t his? I’ll bet neither would agree to a paternity test.

11. Mark Flag says:

They’ll both be in diapers at the same time.

12. FreudianSlip says:

Oh yes, it’s much better to be 20, unmarried, birth a child and then let crazy California entitlement programs pay for raising the child in public day care and public schools. How is that preferential? Even two working parents in their 30s cannot possibly give the personal attention children deserve.

Anyone with critical thinking skills knows it’s better to have old financially secure responsible parents nurture and educate their child, they know what’s important and will give their child ten times more positive attention and respect.

You can grow weeds, just let it happen. Or, you can nurture and tend a precious rose.

13. Linda Green says:

Love isn
    t free. There are consequences. He will find this out.

14. Kevin says:

No one mentioned the most impressive part of this story. He has a 28 year old wife! Hats off to him!

15. TellinItLikeItIs says:

Dr. Hip. More like Dr. Hip Surgery.

16. Chicago says:

Hippies are the most selfish people I know. I do not respect, nor do a trust a single one of them. Just a bunch of parasites.

17. Garr Obo says:

“Hipster expecting child at &&”? Of course he is. Or maybe his wife is expecting a child along with her young boyfriend. How laughable some men and their egos are.

18. Dedicated2U says:

What is hip today, may tomorrow be passe’ !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. wbl1 says:

I bet he likes to fart in an elavator and waive it around so everyone smells it

20. MLKP says:

Amazing how quickly anonymous people judge this man without more than the slightest of knowledge into the details of his life, marriage, finances, OR health.

Since so many critics here are quite obviously lacking an understanding of a very elementary concept, please allow me to explain: almost all of recent human progress is because of Science and Critical Thinking! Critical thinking requires us to assimilate information from MANY different sources BEFORE beginning to make assumptions about details unmentioned in literature. The nay-sayers, anti-hip patrol, parent police, and “diaper jokers” show themselves to be fools with such trite and simple insults. Most of this trash is libel…

This man is HEALTHY, WEALTHY, and HAPPILY married, I know because I KNOW HIM PERSONALLY and have visited with him and his wife several times.

Thankfully for every 9 idiots with spring-loaded hate-filled derisive judgments ready to fire; there are a few people who recognize the need for critical thinking, intelligence, respect, and most of all DECENCY.online. (Freudian Slip)

1. phil allen says:

Thanks! I agree..waay too much negativity here. I remembered him the other day, after so long a time, hence the visit here. I recall how with the passing years of his Chron column, his hair got gradually shorter. Then..the tie and jacket. I could almost hear a chorus trilling, “No shoes, no service..”

21. Brodave says:

“I don’t know what happened,” said Lonie. .”

I recommend checking out the postman’s hair color for future reference.

22. DigitalBob says:

“Gee, I don’t know what happened…”

I’m guessing the pool boy is what happened

23. Steve L Reid says:

I belive another man snook in the back door while the old timer was asleep.

24. See Alice says:

Rather practical, actually.

As the youth loses his primary chompers, his old man can collect them for use in dentures.

25. Mark says:

I have known Gene Schoenfeld since the early 1970’s, and I have met his wife. He is as warm and kind and smart an individual as anyone could hope to meet. Most of the comments here, on the other hand, are stupid, ignorant, intolerant, shallow, and cruel.

26. Wanda Berger says:

Dr. Hip was a wonderful Bay Area voice in the late sixties/early 70s. Lot’s of heart and humor. While a bit strange being a father at 77, the kid will have some great genes!
    Life is strange. Best to all.

27. JackieWiz says:

You don’t know anything about this couple. So, quit the negative comments. We’ve been friends with this couple for awhile.

28. tv amr says:

I would like to voice my gratitude for ones kindness meant for folks that must have help with this important area. Your personal dedication to having the solution along became exceedingly productive and still have truly empowered women like me to get at their pursuits. Your important useful information indicates this much an individual much like me and far more to my office colleagues. Regards; from all of us.