Man, Dog Killed In Alameda House Fire
ALAMEDA (CBS SF) — A man and his dog were killed in a house fire in Alameda Saturday, fire officials said.
Firefighters were dispatched to the blaze at 1810 Elm St. at 8:43 p.m., acting Battalion Chief Bob Buell said.
The fire was under control about forty minutes later at 9:23 p.m., but the resident of the house was killed, Buell said.
Kenneth Chait, 59, was found in the hallway of his home headed to another room. His dachshund was also killed in the fire.
The fire started in the kitchen, and investigators believe that the fire may have been started by a potentially overloaded outlet where a dryer and microwave were plugged in.
The large response to the fire required Alameda firefighters to request assistance from the Oakland Fire Department to standby at Alameda fire stations in case another call came in, or if the Elm Street fire grew bigger than the Alameda department could handle.
(Copyright 2012 by CBS San Francisco and Bay City News Service. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)