DUBLIN (CBS SF) – The man accused of killing seven people and wounding three others in a shooting rampage at Oakland’s Oikos University earlier this month is refusing to eat because he feels shame for his situation, an Alameda County sheriff’s spokesman said Monday.
One Goh, 43, has not eaten since he was booked into jail after the April 2 shooting, sheriff’s spokesman Sgt. J.D. Nelson said.
“It’s not uncommon for people who are placed in a jail cell and start a new life to reflect and feel shame,” Nelson said.
He said Goh has indicated to deputies that he feels shame for being in jail and accused of murdering seven people.
Goh was moved from an isolated cell at the Santa Rita Jail to the infirmary on Friday so doctors can monitor him but Nelson said there’s no cause for alarm at this point and he’s still in good health, although he has lost about 20 pounds.
“He’s not trying to kill himself,” Nelson said.
KCBS’ Chris Filippi Reports:
Goh’s attorney, Deputy Public Defender David Klaus, couldn’t be reached for comment Monday.
Classes resumed Monday at the Christian vocational school on Edgewater Drive for the first time since the shooting, which occurred around 10:30 a.m. on April 2.
Goh, a 43-year-old Korean national who lived in Oakland, has been charged with seven counts of murder, three counts of attempted murder and other charges.
Goh is a former student who had left the school voluntarily. Prosecutors have said he appears to have wanted a refund of his tuition, and may have been targeting an administrator who was not present the day of the shooting.
He allegedly fled the campus in a car belonging to one of the victims, but was arrested in Alameda a short time later after he confessed to a Safeway security guard that he had just shot several people, according to police.
According to a probable cause statement filed in court by Oakland police Officer Robert Trevino, Goh has admitted that he carried out the shooting.
Those killed were students Lydia Sim, 21, Sonam Choedon, 33, Grace Kim, 23, Doris Chibuko, 40, Judith Seymour, 53, and Tshering Bhutia, 38, and administrator Katleen Ping, 24.
Goh, who is being held without bail, is scheduled to return to court April 30 to enter a plea.
Nelson said that at this time sheriff’s officials expect that Goh will be able to make it to his court hearing even though he hasn’t been eating.
(Copyright 2012 by CBS San Francisco and Bay City News Service. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)