kpix-7-2013-masthead kcbs 7-2013-masthead

Local

3 Escape From Hayward House Fire

View Comments
A utility worker repairs a power line damaged after a fire at a house on Fairway St. in Hayward, June 4, 2012. (CBS)

A utility worker repairs a power line damaged after a fire at a house on Fairway St. in Hayward, June 4, 2012. (CBS)

Get Breaking News First

Receive News, Politics, and Entertainment Headlines Each Morning.
Sign Up

HAYWARD (CBS SF) – Three people and their dog escaped a one-alarm fire at a home across the street from Bidwell Elementary School in Hayward early Monday morning, a Hayward fire captain said.

A resident of Fairway Street called 911 at 5:09 a.m. after being awakened by “cracking and popping sounds” and noticing a light flickering in the kitchen, fire Capt. Thor Poulsen said.

He looked outside and saw flames in the garage area, and woke up his 80-year-old father and a woman who lives at the home, and the three exited safely with their dog, Poulsen said.

Firefighters arrived to find flames rolling out of the front of the garage and into the home’s eaves, he said. They cut a hole in the roof to ventilate the blaze, and had to navigate a dangerous situation when some power lines fell on the home’s lawn, Poulsen said.

No injuries were reported, and firefighters gained the upper hand on the blaze, which caused an estimated $100,000 in damage, he said.

Poulsen said it appears the fire was sparked by an overloaded extension cord than ran along a wall inside the garage. He said the blaze serves as a reminder that residents should not rely on extension cords in lieu of permanent wiring.

The blaze knocked out electricity to the home that burned and an adjacent residence, he said.

 

 

(Copyright 2012 by CBS San Francisco and Bay City News Service. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)

 

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus