Filed underYour Home
In the North Bay, we are extremely lucky to have specialty stores and unique boutiques so that when expectant parents are getting ready to welcome a bundle of joy into the household, it is easy to create the perfect setting for their nursery. However, along with these choices can come a lot of confusion. Relax, take a seat and read the following tips of getting together the best nursery possible with minimal stress.
1. A Crib: There are hundreds of cribs to choose from, but purchase one that fits your needs. Consider space, as many brands offer smaller cribs that can convert to larger ones when needed. Most importantly, think of safety and comfort for your new baby.
2. A Mattress: There are several options when it comes to a baby’s mattress and the choices can be overwhelming. The North Bay is fortunate enough to have many local stores that stock organic and allergy-free mattresses. Try and find a dual mattress, where one side is extra firm for newborn needs and the other side is slightly softer for toddler use. This way, the mattress is not only used for a longer period of time but also has better value.
3. Bedding Accessories: If you are not buying an organic mattress, purchase a dust-mite barrier cover to keep your baby away from local allergies. Waterproof sheets are a must for those nights when babies wet the bed or spit up. By adding a smaller waterproof sheet, you will save time when it comes to laundry. Organic sheets can be pricey but they are also durable and hold up better when it comes to laundry time. Swaddling blankets are fantastic as they not only keep a baby at the correct temperature when sleeping, but also keep arms securely inside when babies wake up for night-time nursing.
4. Changing Area: Changing a baby on an actual changing table or on the floor is a personal decision, however a changing pad is very much needed for both methods. Instead of using a fancy padded changing mat, opt for a basic waterproof changing mat as these can easily be wiped down as well as moved around.
5. Cleaning Supplies: Choose basic, fragrance-free and toxic-free cleaning supplies for nurseries as allergies in the North Bay are higher than in other Californian areas.
6. Comfortable Feeding Area: Whether you choose to purchase a glider/rocker or set up a cozy feeding area on your bed with extra pillows, ensure it is convenient for all hours of the day and night as there is nothing worse than feeling too cold or too hot when those 3 a.m. cries start wailing. Consider buying a couple of extra large pillows so you can have the choice of either putting them behind you to lean back on, or underneath your baby to support him/her when feeding.
Refer to these North Bay companies when building your new nursery:
Baby & Kids Company
12 Miller Ave
Mill Valley, CA 94941
Baby & Kids Company is a family-run boutique for babies’ gear and clothing. Parents and caregivers can find sustainable and eco-friendly nursery supplies at this store.
1608 Redwood Highway, D037
Corte Madera, CA 94925
Giggle offers a fantastic selection of cribs from converter styles to minimalistic modern designs.
My Baby News
921 Lakeville St
Petaluma, CA 94952
My Baby News is a fabulous boutique-style store that carries brands such as Aden + Anais, Angel Dear, Boppy, Diaper Dude and Nap Nanny.
For more great tricks, tips and advice about your home, visit CBSSanFrancisco.com/YourHome.
Parmeeta Ghoman is a freelance writer living in San Francisco. She specializes in shopping and style. Find some of her work on Examiner.com.