OAKLAND (CBS SF) – Police in Oakland were continuing to search for a teenage suspect believed to have been one of two suspects that rammed a California Highway Patrol car and fired at it on Saturday night, police said.

One suspect was arrested early Tuesday morning after an hours-long standoff in an East Oakland neighborhood. Two other suspects were arrested during the same incident on Saturday night.

While the three suspects already arrested have not yet been identified, police said the suspect at large is 16-year-old Kenyon Thomas of Oakland.

Thomas is described as a black male, 5 feet 5 inches tall, 130 pounds with short black hair, brown eyes and wearing glasses. Police said he is considered armed and dangerous.

Thomas is believed to have been in a black Acura that rammed a CHP car while that officer was attempting to pull over a van for a traffic violation in the area of 54th Avenue and International Boulevard at around 10 p.m.

The CHP said the driver of the van was not wearing a seatbelt, prompting the stop, but then fled. A short time later, the Acura began ramming the back of the CHP car.

The pursuit continued until the occupants of the Acura fired at the CHP car, shattering the rear window but missing the officer, near the High Street on-ramp to Interstate Highway 880.

Both the Acura and the van involved in the chase fled the scene, speeding onto southbound Highway 880 via the High Street exit, according to the CHP.

Officers located the van a short time later in a parking lot near 66th Avenue and Highway 880. The van’s two occupants were arrested.

The Acura was found at a Shell gas station near East 10th Street, and officers determined that it had been reported stolen.

Police said they located two suspects believed to have been in the Acura on Monday afternoon, and chased them into a residence in the 2300 block of East 24th Street.

An hours-long standoff ensued with Oakland police assisted by the Fremont police SWAT team, the Union City police SWAT team, the CHP, the U.S. Marshals Service, the Department of Homeland Security, the Oakland Housing Authority and the Oakland police Gang Intelligence Task Force.

Police had to call in outside assistance because President Obama was attending several fundraising events elsewhere in Oakland and many police were busy there.

The standoff lasted until early Tuesday morning, when one suspect in the shooting was arrested.


(Copyright 2012 by CBS San Francisco and Bay City News Service. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

Watch & Listen LIVE