SANTA ROSA (CBS SF) — Firefighters responded to a fire at a commercial building in Santa Rosa on Monday night that was related to a marijuana grow operation, fire officials said.

Crews were dispatched to the locked commercial structure at 3315 Coffey Lane after a water flow alarm went off at 8:38 p.m.

Upon arrival, firefighters forced entry into the building after seeing light smoke and noticing water flowing from the sprinkler system.

Inside, firefighters found thick smoke in the mezzanine level of the building. The fire had burned in a room that contained a marijuana grow, but the flames had been extinguished by a single sprinkler head, according to the fire department.

Firefighters searched the building for any victims but didn’t find anyone. They did find two additional rooms used to cultivate marijuana.

The sprinkler system was shut off, and efforts were made to prevent further water damage to the property, fire officials said.

A fire investigator determined the fire was sparked by misuse of electrical equipment by the tenants.

Santa Rosa police were also investigating the incident. The damage was estimated at $15,000.

(Copyright 2012 by CBS San Francisco and Bay City News Service. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)



Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

Watch & Listen LIVE