Leftover Charcoal Briquettes Spark Hayward House Fire

HAYWARD (CBS SF) – Firefighters were at the scene of a residential fire near the Hayward BART station Monday, a fire official said.

Fire crews responded to 728-1 City Walk Place shortly after 1 p.m. to find a two-story home on fire, Capt. Thor Poulsen said.

The people inside the home called the fire department after smelling smoke on the second floor of the residence, which is across a walkway from City Hall and about 500 feet from the Hayward BART station, Poulsen said.

It appears the fire was sparked by charcoal briquettes that were left on a concrete slab outside the home late Sunday night, Poulsen said. The heat moved up through the walls and started the fire.

The fire has been contained to the one unit but has already caused about $125,000 in damage.



(Copyright 2012 by CBS San Francisco and Bay City News Service. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS San Francisco

Get The New CBS SF Bay Area Local App
Got Our Weather App?

Listen Live