HAYWARD (CBS SF) — An elderly woman was critically injured in a fire apparently caused by a cigarette at her home in Hayward on Thursday night, a fire department spokesman said Friday.

The one-alarm fire was reported at 9:14 p.m. and was extinguished six minutes later, fire Capt. LaShon Earnest said.

The 81-year-old victim suffered second- and third-degree burns to her hand, forearm and face and is in critical condition, Earnest said.

The woman is a known smoker and investigators believe she may have fallen asleep while smoking in her living room, leading the fire to ignite from her cigarette, according to Earnest.

She was unable to put out the blaze and retreated to a rear bedroom where responding firefighters found her, Earnest said.

(Copyright 2013 by CBS San Francisco and Bay City News Service. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)



Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

More From CBS San Francisco

Get The New CBS SF Bay Area Local App
LIVE: Monday through Friday from 3am – 3pm PST

Watch & Listen LIVE