49ers’ Crabtree Won’t Be Charged In Sexual Assault Case
San Francisco 49ers
Buy 49ers Tickets
SAN FRANCISCO (CBS / AP) — San Francisco 49ers star wide receiver Michale Crabtree will not be charged for an alleged sexual assault, according to a statement issued by the San Francisco District Attorney’s Office on Friday evening.
Earlier this month a woman had accused Crabtree of assaulting her at the W Hotel in downtown San Francisco, but police had been struggling to find evidence against him.
District Attorney George Gascon’s statement read simply: “Following a review of all the evidence, my office has determined that no charges will be filed against Michael Crabtree at this time.
Crabtree’s attorney, Joshua Bentley, didn’t immediately return a call seeking comment.
San Francisco police said Crabtree was never detained or arrested in the matter, and that he cooperated fully with their investigation.
The 49ers are preparing to meet the Baltimore Ravens in the Super Bowl on Feb. 3 in New Orleans.
49ers general manager Trent Baalke said the team was pleased that the district attorney decided to not file charges after reviewing the matter.
“Michael and the team can now put this behind us and move forward,” Baalke said in a statement.
During the regular season, Crabtree became the first San Francisco wide receiver with more than 1,000 yards in a season since Terrell Owens in 2003.
(Copyright 2013 CBS San Francisco. All rights reserved.)