SAN FRANCISCO (KCBS) – District Attorney George Gascón vowed Friday to go after anyone who takes part in any kind of rioting or violence after the Super Bowl, joining the chorus of city officials trying to prevent a repeat of violence after the World Series.
The city’s top prosecutor called for peaceful celebrations, no matter the outcome of the big game between the 49ers and Ravens on Sunday.
“What occurred during the World Series cannot be tolerated again,” Gascón said, standing beside the mug shots of more than a dozen vandals charged as a result of the baseball mayhem.
KCBS’ Anna Duckworth Reports:
Rioting after the Giants won the World Series last year involved bonfires in the street, Muni busses trashed, graffiti and no shortage of vandalism.
The District Attorney’s Office pursued charges against 14 people arrested as a result of the World Series mayhem. Some of the suspects with prior records face sentences of 25 years to life in prison.
“The consequences for going out there, hurting someone, damaging property, are very severe and there is no need for that to occur,” Gascón said.
Several of the World Series prosecutions have hinged on videos posted online. Gascón said revelers should have no false sense of security that a crowd will provide anonymity in an age of ubiquitous cellphone cameras and YouTube uploads.
“Certainly we will be looking for that information through the Internet, so whatever you do out there, understand that there are many witnesses and the information today is captured electronically.”
(Copyright 2013 by CBS San Francisco. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)